Can anyone report on the Apple AV out cable?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by OrangeCuse44, Jan 21, 2008.

1. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

I'm looking into purchasing the Apple AV out cable to watch my touch tv shows and movies on my TV. I use handbrake to rip my dvds for my touch using the default iPhone settings. Has anyone used these settings with the AV out cable? How is the video quality on TVs (I have a widescreen HD set)? Im not looking for Hi def quality but is it pixelated or like a normal show would look like? Also, how is the sound quality?

2. redRAYZA macrumors member

redRAYZA

I actually do the same thing with handbrake to get video on my HDTV, but the video is not going to look as good as it does on the touch screen. It's about the same quality as watching a good VHS to be honest. The sound on the other hand is great. I'm on a 42" dlp by the way.

3. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Hmmm...so its worse than even normal TV then?

4. redRAYZA macrumors member

redRAYZA

If you're comparing it to normal digital cable, then it's not as good. It all boils down to your settings in handbrake and your TV. Most widescreen videos on the default handbrake settings come out to 408x208 resolution (your TV is at least 1280x720 resolution). You are able to tweak things to come out looking better, but will obviously take up more space on the iPod.

The picture is not horrible by any means (I don't mind the quality), but it will depend on your personal preferences. I think the cable is definitely worth it though, especially because it charges the iPod while playing the movies.

5. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Alright thanks. Im using the default iPhone conversion settings so sounds like itll prob be a little lesser quality than digital cable.

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Your iPod touch can play video at the same quality as a DVD just as long as the height of the video does not exceed 480px. However, since the 1.1.3 update, my video playback with the AV cable stutters every 15-30 seconds for no reason. The quality can be BETTER than digital cable if you want it to be.

7. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Im not at my Mac right now so i dont know the details on the conversion from DVD in handbrake, but like i mentioend above, im using the default iPhone settings. I have a lot already ripped so i wouldnt redo it with a higher quality so i was wondering how the default looks.

8. hxe3333 macrumors member

I heard it didn't play all the GUI part, but how about youtube or even QT movie from safari? Will i be able to watch them on TV or only things you sync in iTunes?
    let me knowif someone has the cable. Thanks

9. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

YouTube and Safari QT both work on the TV with the new Apple AV Cable.