Can anyone sell me on the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fwtong, Sep 13, 2007.

1. fwtong macrumors newbie

Well, I temporarily decided not to purchase Aperture or Lightroom and used that money for a new iPhone as soon as the price drop was announced. I'm not sure if I should keep it because I already have a Blackberry Pearl. From what I know, the only real advantages of the iPhone is the UI and more storage space (4gb vs. 1gb). I'm not sure if that advantage outweighs the following:
    iPhone costs $299, whereas I already bought the Pearl
    I don't need a data plan because I'm almost always next to a computer (I currently don't have the Blackberry data plan)
    don't need email on the phone (see above)
    costs more per month ($60 vs. $45)
    I love the size of the Pearl beacuse it still feels like a phone, not like I'm holding my old Palm to my ear
    Pearl is a better phone to travel with since it's easier to unlock and put in a foreign SIM card
    the Pearl already syncs reasonably well with the Missing Sync
    More Features on the Pearl that I do use: Voice Dialing, Notes application that syncs with my Mac, To Do List that syncs with iCal

So can anyone sell me on the iPhone? I really want to keep it, but can't justify the cost of it right now.

2. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

its an iphone. Nuff said. Plus its officially endorsed by chuck norris and steven segal. Any questions?

3. Amblinman macrumors regular

Sounds like you should return it. Enjoy your Pearl. :)

4. fwtong thread starter macrumors newbie

Normally, being an iPhone would be enough, but it's $299 plus the iPhone plan will cost at least $180 more per year. Combined, that's almost $500, enough to cover a car payment.

5. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

The more I use it, the more I love it, but prior to this I had a Razr, an 8GB Nano and an iPaq and the iPhone combines all three and then builds on top of them, so I could be biased. :)

6. njpodder macrumors regular

Sounds like you already made your decision and just need that extra push. Decide which features you use the most, and keep the one that fulfills more of those features than the other.

7. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

Umm, seems really stupid for you to keep the iphone... If what you have suits your needs well, no reason to waste money on something that won't or that is more expensive. The iphone isn't the end all of phones, sure I love mine but that is because I've hated every other PDA phone I've had... I would stick with the crackberry.

8. jlanuez macrumors 6502

Yes...

...he can

Attached Files:

• SJ.jpg
      SJ.jpg
      File size:
      69.7 KB
      Views:
  9. MiLK© macrumors member

If your not 'sold' by holding the iPhone in your very own hands, what difference is asking us stuff you already know about going do?

10. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

I was sold when I played with a friends iphone for a few minutes. :)

11. MiLK© macrumors member

I was sold in the first minute of its announcement when I saw Steve Jobs slide his thumb to unlock it :D

12. sgarringer macrumors regular

:eek::eek:

Quite a few car payments, mine are $160 a month!

13. fwtong thread starter macrumors newbie

0 down lease ftw :)

Thanks for the input. I'll probably keep the Pearl for now, although I'll have to put the box somewhere where I can't see it, because everytime I look at it, I start to wonder. I don't even want to hold because I'll probably make an irrational decision.

Hopefully they'll make an iPhone that doesn't require a data plan, that would be perfect for me

14. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Sounds like you're making the best decision for your needs.

I am sure a lot of people would love an iPhone minus a data plan, but it's unlikely. Most of the carriers growth and revenue come from data and text plans, so unfortunately they'd probably never want to backtrack AWAY from a bundled data plan. Wait and see, and maybe some of the unlocks will stick after updates. With an unlock you can use a foreign SIM while travelling, and you can just choose not to input the EDGE data settings into the phone, therefore, no data!

15. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

It's 8 gigs and if you don't get it then no one can help. Enjoy your Pearl it's a fairly nice unit.

16. fwtong thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I should have made it clear, I got the 4GB version.

17. sgarringer macrumors regular

Well, technically the iPhone can be activated without any additional plans. ;)

18. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

dude just return it- it sounds like u don't want it anyway and like the Pearl better.

If you're coming here to be convinced, then u don't really want it, and no one here could possibly help u.

19. makismagoo99 macrumors regular

makismagoo99

Do you LIKE the pearl? Not just the size, but the interface, features, everything. Because even though the iPhone is a bit larger (although not much), it has far and away the most amazing interface of any phone I've ever used. I've never had a phone that I really enjoyed using. It was just make calls, set the alarm, whatever. But literally EVERYTHING you do on the iPhone is fun. Whether it's browsing through coverflow, flicking and pinching through your photos, or even browsing the Web. Even making calls is fun. Yes, FUN! I'm telling you the iPhone is worth it. So unless you absolutely CANNOT give up the voice dialing, etc. I'd say keep the iPhone, and sell the Pearl, you could probably almost cover your $300. Anyways, that's my input...

20. z28black98 macrumors regular

I find the email feature quite handy, I use it alot at work when I am working with co workers and customers. Not to mention, its really handy when you are expecting important emails and dont wanna be tied to a comp all day. But since u already have a pearl, I wouldnt have bought the iphone inthe first place.