Can anyone show speed from 2G(edge) to 3gs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Silv3rF0x, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Silv3rF0x macrumors member

Silv3rF0x

I am still thinking about getting one. I am not sure just yet money is crazy right now. But I have some questions.

Do you use your sam SIM?
    Also I have a 1st gen will my sim work in a 3Gs

Also since I am no longer in my old state with that number does it force me to get a number from the state I am currently in?

Also does this wipe out my phone and the data on it.

2. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

I am still thinking about getting one. I am not sure just yet money is crazy right now. But I have some questions.

I'm wrong. It will work with a 2g Sim. The phone will already have a sim, which you activate it through iTunes.

I don't think so, but I'm not 100% sure.

3. Nickday89 macrumors regular

my old first generation phone's sim works fine with my 3gs.

4. DuFFy macrumors regular

yeah when i got mine today from the ATT store, they took the sim out of my 2g and put it into my 3GS, 3g works great.

your current iPhone's data will remain intact. you just wont be able to make calls or use the att data network. it will essentially be an iPod Touch. You can just come home and sync the new phone with itunes and use a backup of your 2g to get all your settings and data like txt messages onto it

5. Silv3rF0x thread starter macrumors member

Silv3rF0x

They thanks guys for the info.

So from the 2G to the 3Gs You for sure notice a huge incress in speed and fuction right. Is it worth it for sure?

6. Blackforge macrumors 6502

For my upgrade they didn't swap the SIM cards at the AT&T store, they just activated the new phone with the new sim and moved my line to it.

7. aerospace macrumors 6502a

When I put the sim from 3gs into my edge iPhone it just goes to emergency mode, guess it has to be unlocked.

Speed test is showing 3gs at 1504 / 184 kbps.

Someone needs to test a 3g next to a 3gs and see if there's a difference. I'm happy with the speed boost but not wowed by it. Depends how much you surf if it's worth it.

8. Silv3rF0x thread starter macrumors member

Silv3rF0x

So there is for sure a noticed diffrent from the 1st gen to the 3gs

9. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

Oh yes, huge difference. I did a speed test with my 2G last night. I got 180 down, 63 up. Coming home with my 3G S I got 1600 down and 260 up. BIG difference. It's very noticeable in use too, not just some bigger numbers.

10. DuFFy macrumors regular

from my test i did, 3g was faster on the 3gs than wifi was on my 2g, so yes, big difference

11. muckymucky macrumors member

muckymucky

um.. i thought we were talking about speed~ in that case:

[​IMG]
    CNET: Pre vs 3G (on edge) vs 3Gs