Can anyone speak for Bombich's "Carbon Copy Cloner"?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RumMunkey, Jul 3, 2007.

1. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Hi all,

Has anyone here successfully used Bombich's "Carbon Copy Cloner"?

I need to move my OSX installation over to a new (bigger) disk and I really don't want to have to do it from scratch and re-install all my updates & apps.

2. jarinehart macrumors newbie

I've used it several times to switch drives, and it worked without a hitch.

3. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

I've used it several times to switch hard drives as you are planning to do. I also used it pretty extensively in software development to reatore machines to a particular state (for testing and bug fixing).

It has been very reliable. I used it a few weeks ago when I put a new HD in my MBP so I know it works for 10.4.9/10.

4. RumMunkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

OK thanks.

Am I right in believing that I can out my new disk in the second internal bay, format it (it's NTFS right now), run the clone, then put the new disk in bay #1, reboot and it'll fire right up?

Is it really that easy?

5. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Should work fine, but if it won't boot as default, you may have to set that feature during clone. But to see if it boots well, hold the command key down during boot, and it should let you choose which drive to boot from.

Brian

6. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

7. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

I use SuperDuper! and its fantastic. It does a exact copy of your HD and best of all its free for your needs. Search for the reviews online and I'm sure you would agree.

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/

8. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

+1. SD is fantastic and there are many options for the type of backup you want. I've never used CCC so I cannot speak on it.

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I've used both CCC and SuperDuper!. I can honestly say that not only do they both work at making bootable clones of your disk, SuperDuper! does better on both retaining metadata and having a clean, easy to understand user interface.

10. citi macrumors 65816

citi

11. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

+1 for Carbon Copy Cloner. It works perfectly for cloning my MacBook HD to my external HD for backup. I also use it to make the external HD bootable for guinea pig purposes, like installing updates on it to make sure the update doesn't fubar the OS. If so, I just have to do a re-clone and remember not to install that update on my MacBook HD. The only drawback that doesn't really make a difference is that it's not Universal yet.

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have to agree. I've noticed SuperDuper has a much more friendly interface and does the cloning job a lot faster. CCC needs some work to catch up but then again it's more geared toward administration then the normal user.

I'm a big fan of NetRestore though!

13. heySparky macrumors regular

heySparky

Same here. +2 for SD.

14. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

15. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You can do that in Disk Utility using the restore function. I use CCC for block level cloning too.

16. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

+1 for CCC. my primary back-up method is to use CCC to clone my drive. i've used it for several years now without any problems.

17. RumMunkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Well, I'm done!

I ended up using Super Duper simply because it had a "gooier" GUI. :confused:

It went very well, not a single problem. I put the new disk in bay #2, started the Mac and ran Super Duper. I set it to make a bootable clone, choose the new, larger HD as the destination and came back in an hour and it was done.

I then shutdown the Mac, took out the old drive and moved my new one to bay #1 and started it all back up. It started without a problem. Not a single hiccup. Disk upgraded and done.

Yeah.... I think it's obvious why I switched. :apple: