Can anyone suggest a good backup drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BLewisMaltz, Aug 25, 2011.

1. BLewisMaltz macrumors newbie

I'm a fool with no backup system. Can someone please suggest a good backup drive? I'm currently operating a 1 terabyte iMac. I would like a complete backup as I have a lot of media and other files.

Who makes a good backup drive?

Do people suggest I go with one of those dual drives or is that excessive?

Thanks, in advance, for all the suggestions! :)

2. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

get a 2 tb external hd can be had for 80 bucks and u can do a full time machine backup as well as store another 1 tb of data

3. BLewisMaltz thread starter macrumors newbie

Any 2tb drive will do? No other characteristics to look for/avoid?

4. BLewisMaltz thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, I'll assume any external drive at all will do.

5. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I got a Western Digital 2TB external hard drive (USB) from Target around Christmas time last year. It was on sale for like $70ish? So of course I had to get it.

Right now I have it hooked up to my iMac.. and since my iMac is always on (asleep, albeit), I use the same external hard drive as a backup for my MBA via my wireless network (by sharing the drive). Initially it was pretty slow backing up my MBA via wi-fi, but after the first time, just subtle changes get backed up - making it a pretty quick process.

6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I'd search on newegg.com for what you want. If transfer speed is important than you´ll want something with at least a FW 800 connection.

The newegg customers' reviews on all the products are pretty trustworthy.

7. willieva macrumors 6502

Before you get a drive you should figure out what your backup strategy is. If you're going to be using time machine then you'll want to get a larger backup drive than your computer's capacity. Twice as big is probably a good number given how cheap drives are now. If you're going with a disk duping system like superduper or carbon copy then you'll only need to get a 1 TB system.

8. slowtraveler macrumors member

+1 for sorting out your backup strategy and choosing backup software before buying a drive. (You'll likely need more than one drive to implement a truly reliable backup solution.)

The support forums for Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper, etc., are good places to investigate approaches to backup strategy and experiences forum users have had with various hardware products.

Also, don't forget to search the MacRumors forums for the *NUMEROUS* prior threads on this subject.

Cheers,

B.