Can anyone teach...you know, night courses at college or something?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by detz, Dec 18, 2008.

1. detz macrumors 65816

I'm interested in teaching some programming courses(iPhone maybe) but I was wondering what's involved with teaching. I have a BS in Computer Science but do I need a masters or any certifications? I think it would be fun, it would help people learn and I might make a little coin on top of it.

2. shecky Guest

shecky

the two things that matter most are

1) you are a good teacher
    2) you know what you are talking about

having said that, requirements vary greatly depending on the institution and curriculum, but schools usually prefer a "terminal degree" for their field, however they may not require it.

i do not know specifically about programming/computer science/IT in terms of what would be appropriate, but there is no real certification to teach at college other than knowing what you are talking about.

i have taught for a few years at a number of schools in both undergraduate programs as well as continuing education with only my BFA. the only holdback i am having without my Masters is getting a full-time position, but partime/adjunct is no problem at all.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Depends on the school system. You should be all right. Some schools pay a lot better than others. In some cases, the pay is downright abysmal. Good luck!

4. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

In my field (agriculture) I have been told you can generally teach classes at the level below your highest degree. Someone with a BS can teach for credit associates level classes and so forth.

I have seen quite a few exceptions to this in my college career. I had an instructor with no college degrees teaching a 400 level propagation class - but the fact he had 60+ years of hands-on experience and was considered one of the best in the world at what he did didn't hurt! Come to think of it, the class was still under the "supervision" of a full professor.

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Apply. The worst that'll happen is they'll say 'no'.

6. detz thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I wouldn't even know where to start. :) I want to do iPhone development but I'm pretty sure not to many schools offer that course so getting the to create it for me to teach would not be an easy task.

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Let me help you get started:

1. Prepare a Curriculum Vitae. This is an academic resume. It should contain your educational background, scholarly activities (such as programs you've written, especially those for the iPhone), and relevant presentations and publications, if any. It should also list any previous teaching experience for which you were paid, and any service you have provided in your discipline. It must convince them that you are competent to teach the course.

2. Prepare an provisional syllabus. This should have a course description, credit hours, list of prerequisites, course objectives and a weekly schedule. If you're planning on using a book, that should be listed as well. Be sure to include graded assignments, such as coding exercises and exams, and grading policy. This is a contract with the students so their expectations are clear.

3. Call or email the departmental Chair and attach these two documents and provide him/her with the rationale for the course offering. If they have interest, then you'll likely get a "topics" course to see how it goes and how you do. They do not create the course - you do. They either accept it (with or without modifications to the course proposal) or reject it.

4. If the Chair asks you to come in for a visit, make certain you present yourself professionally and be prepared to ask about institutional resources for teaching such a course. I suspect you will need plenty of iPhones, and those are not cheap for educational purposes.

Importantly, be sure your spelling and grammar are correct in all of these communications.

8. john.adam macrumors newbie

Hello detz

Because you are a computer graduate, so I suggest you to get some IT certifications like MCSE, MCSA or CCNA etc. I've discovered an amazing website that offers free certification exam questions and answers. You should visit certpaper dot come or write email to support at certpaper dot come and ask for any certification exam questions and answers.
    Questions and answers provided by certpaper dot com are pretty amazing, error free and contain the exact exam questions and answers like in the actual exam.
    I already have passed my Microsoft 70-086 MCSA 2003 Implementing and Supporting Systems Management Server 2.0 exam two days before with high scores by taking the free questions and answer from many sites.

John