Can anyone walk me through? 3GS to 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Melodeath, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, I just got my 4S in the mail today. I currently have a 3GS and would like to transfer all of my data (texts, apps, notes, contacts, pics, videos). I imagine this process is pretty simple, but if anyone could give me a quick rundown, that would be great.

When I turn on the 4s, it wants me to do a set-up. I haven't gone through this yet because I want to be sure I have everything correct before I begin

Do I first do a manual backup of the 3GS? Is there anything else I need to do, like sync apps or something? I only have one paid app, so it wouldn't be a huge deal to go tot he app store and just tell it to download all my previous apps again, since it keeps track of what you've installed. I typically download apps on my phone and never do a sync with the mac

Do I then plug-in the 4S, and say restore from backup? Wll my 3GS backup remain in tact, or will the restore to the 4S overwrite my 3GS backup?

Is there anything else I need to know?

Thanks so much

2. Mattyk182 macrumors member

First, plug in the 3gs to iTunes and right click on the phone then click "back-up". Once that's complete, turn on your 4s and go through everything it tells you to go through then it will tell you to plug into iTunes. When you get to this step, just follow the instructions on the screen. Hope this helps! :)

3. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

So far, so good. It's asking if I want to Merge my Contacts and Calendars with iCloud. What exactly does this mean if I don't have an iPad, and am not running Lion or iCloud on my mac?