Can ANYONE with a 13inch MCP please answer this

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by al82, Jul 13, 2009.

1. al82 macrumors regular

I Got a 13 inch MBP and gave my 13 inch aluminum MB to my dad.

However i noticed something with the new MBP i got.

A)After installing istat pro on both machines only the older MB shows as having Heatsink A and B, the new MBP shows as only having Heat sink B, how come?

B)The aluminum MB on boot up has all the temps (CPU, Heat sinks, HD and so on) going around 20-30 degrees FH, yet the MBP is coming up with 90-130 degrees FH.

After 1 hour use the MB has all reading between 28-48 yet the MBP has all readings between 90-140 degrees FH.

Both kept in the same room, doing the exact same thing (running safari, same site).

I just dont want the nightmare i had with the MBA where i had to return it 3 times because it would over heat and crawl when doing anything slightly intensive.

Can some PLEASE just bring up their istat widget and tell me their temps.

Mine are:

HD MACINSTOSH 83
    CPU 131
    ENCLOSURE BASE 90
    ENCLOSURE BASE 2 90
    ENCLOSURE BASE 3 89
    ENCLOSURE BASE 4 91
    HEATSINK B 113
    NORTHBRIDGE 108

These are the stats upon boot up.

2. yoavcs macrumors regular

Ummm, you do realize 20-30 F is below freezing, right? I seriously doubt that is what your older MacBook boots into.

You just had it set on Celsius and your new MBP is set on Fahrenheit.

3. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

I suspect the MB is reporting temperatures in Celsius. Otherwise, your MB is colder than freezing when it starts up, which probably doesn't make sense unless you store your computer in the freezer.

Otherwise, the temperatures you're seeing are perfectly normal. Readings between 90 and 140 Fahrenheit are well within normal. (FYI, 28 to 48 in Celsius is about equivalent to 82 - 118 in Fahrenheit.)

Hope that helps. Enjoy your computer.

4. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Like others have said, there is a difference between celsius and fahrenheit. You should have noticed the difference immediately when you saw it was below freezing as far as fahrenheit temps go.

5. al82 thread starter macrumors regular

Lol Thanks guys.

One thing though, why is the new MBP not showing a heatsink A and ONLY heat sink B??

Also is it anything to worry about that in celsius the MBP still runs the CPU at almost twice the heat of the MB??

MB CELSIUS READING for CPU:

MBP:

6. yoavcs macrumors regular

OP, if you had my kind of sense of humor you'd change your profile location to "Antarctic Research Station" and then reply to this thread with a "I know what the difference between Celsius and Fahrenheit is!".
    :)

As for the heatsink A/B issue:
    It's just a matter of iStat not being up-to-date with the newest MBPs so it doesn't know how to name the various sensors. Mine does it too.

7. al82 thread starter macrumors regular

Great thank you.

I know i know i made a silly mistake, lol, god i feel stupid lol.

So it calls heat sink A northbridge i take it.

8. kolax macrumors G3

The MacBook won't stay that cool for long. Normal idle temperature is 40-60'C.

9. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

10. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

What matters for me more than the cpu temp is the body temp of the Macbook Pro, hand rest and underside. Is the new macbook pro warmer there?

11. al82 thread starter macrumors regular

The MB both idle is at 29 (all enclosure bases) and the MBP is 33-34.

Is this an issue? or is because the MBP has no battery cover so less spaces for heat to escape.

Im curious as to what northbridge temp is as the MB doesn't have that.

12. kolax macrumors G3

The new uMBP's are really cool. Even when encoding video, the top casing is cool. My 2nd gen MBP was the opposite.

13. kolax macrumors G3

What is the room temperature..? I find it very hard to believe the MacBook idles at 29'C.

14. al82 thread starter macrumors regular

Im in london temps 22 degrees, windows open in room. Im happy to post a print screen capture.

15. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

The *best* thing you can do is not worry about temps. Temperature should never really matter on a laptop, I don't know hardly any PC laptop owners who check temps, they simply don't care. As a tech guy, I do have temp apps on my system, but I don't worry about the temps. Unless it gets too hot to touch, just use the system and block out temps. They are not for the user to be concerned about.

Having said that, exercise smart computing such as: don't place the laptop on a bed or other surface that may block the fans, etc.

16. njl macrumors regular

fwiw, my MPB 13" only has heatsink b on istat pro as well..

17. al82 thread starter macrumors regular

THANK YOU EVERY ONE YOU ANSWERED ALL MY QUESTIONS

Thank you and all the best.

18. kolax macrumors G3

22'C, and you're telling me your MacBook is idling at 29'C?

Screenshot would be nice ;)