Can anyone with phone in hand confirm: Verizon is GSM unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wildonrio, Sep 19, 2014.

1. wildonrio macrumors 6502

Can anyone who has a Verizon 6 stick in a GSM sim and confirm that it works?

2. benfica88 macrumors regular

Confirmed. Got a Verizon contract free, activated it and popped in my AT&T Sim. Going to restore with AT&T Sim to see what happens.

3. erzhik macrumors 6502

All new Verizon smartphones with LTE are GSM unlocked. There is no exception.

4. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

This.

5. wildonrio thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys! I was 99% sure myself but thanks for the final 1%.

6. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Does this mean it makes sense to just get the Verizon phone to have the one with the best everything including verizon LTE support and all the GSM bands? What is the point of getting the AT&T, Sprint, or Tmobile one then?

7. SR71 macrumors 68000

Exactly. They also have significantly higher resale vale for this reason.

I can also confirm this, OP. Bought a Verizon iPhone 6, popped in my T-Mo SIM Card and it's working perfectly.

8. JavierDiaz4 macrumors member

Now, quick question, want to make sure I cover all the bases. Since it was a Verizon phone, can you Surf the Web and Talk at the same time? I'm pretty sure this is a Network limitation with Verizon and not a Hardware one, but want to make sure.

----------

How hard was it to get Verizon to let their phone go at full price?

9. pshifrin macrumors 6502

pshifrin

Also confirming. Put AT&T SIM from AT&T 5S into VZ (on contract upgrade $299) phone and it was instantly on AT&T LTE, 4G, & Voice. How / why you ask? Because we have big corp accounts with both carriers and I ordered some from each for the office to mix and match and better our chances of having phones delivered on day 1.

10. wildonrio thread starter macrumors 6502

You can surf and talk at the same time on the GSM carriers and now Verizon too since they turned on VoLTE.

And Apple will sell you a Verizon version no questions asked if you simply but it full price in store.

11. macNwindow macrumors member

Don't the 5/5s/6/6+ have the same stuff regardless of what carrier you buy ur phone from?

12. VeNoMiZeD macrumors 6502

How do I buy it online through apple.com for Verizon unlocked? It's asking me to open acct. do I just close it after?

13. serega macrumors regular

I wish it was possible. I use Verizon 5S on ATT and wanted to buy Verizon iPhone 6 outright too. I guess only at Apple store for now.

14. techiebug macrumors 6502a

Alot of people still get confused about this whole unlock thing. To me I've never considered a Verizon phone until I read about this.

15. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

It won't run on Sprint. They're very anal about the phones they have on their network. Pretty much the ONLY phones that'll run on Sprint are Sprint phones. I believe they possess the ability (I'm sure), but they won't do it.

Some people may want a 2 year contract with AT&T, so they buy the AT&T model.

Really if you aren't going to use Verizon any time soon it makes no difference if you buy the CDMA US model or the GSM US model. Someone on AT&T/T-Mobile isn't going to experience any difference with those added bands.

16. NutFlush920 macrumors regular

I have the silver 64gb Verizon iPhone 6 running an at&t sim. All works beautifully. Just popped my SIM card out of my at&t iPhone 5 and popped it into my Verizon iPhone 6 and a few moments later it said AT&T LTE at the top. Shortly after I got a text from at&t telling me I needed a new SIM card to take advantage of all the features but when I stopped at the at&t store he said to disregard the message as I had a LTE SIM card and the phone is unlocked. Only reason the message was sent is cause there system determined a non at&t phone on the network. No biggy and love this phone.