Can Anything Go Wrong?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Sparx, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Sparx macrumors newbie

I don't know if I should jailbreak my iPod touch. I've heard alot of people get bricked and I don't want that to happen to me. Is there any down sides to jail break?

How much space will it take up?
    How much space will the games and applications I download later take up?
    What if I get bricked and I can never use my iPod touch again?

Anyone help?

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

firstly I'm gonna say dont listen to any of the brick posts its pretty hard to brick an ipod, people jailbreak the wrong way and get code scrolling on screen from jailbreak programme or something and automatically they think its bricked.

bricked ipod touch = not working, no powering on even with charger plugged in nothing nada zip zilch

but back to topic:

yes jailbreaks CAN go wrong but they are easily restored to try again. I think the best jailbreak for you would be ziphone as this is just a one button click jailbreak and takes like 2 minutes its real quick and easy to do, just make sure you only select the jailbreak button..... people in the past have clicked on the jailbreak and activate option before today and end up causing themselves bother durin the process of jailbreakin

3. Sparx thread starter macrumors newbie

First of all I'm gonna say, andy thanks so much for your help, you've been the most help here for me.

Anyways, just wondering, iLiberty or ZiPhone is better?

Also, what can jail break allow you to download?

4. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

they are both about the same.

It allows you to download ANYTHING you want, provided the app exists.

Oh, and bricking is imposible, people just say it to make people look at their posts

5. Sparx thread starter macrumors newbie

Phew, that's a relief. Ok I'm going to use ZiPhone. Thanks everyone.:)

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I wouldn't tell him that bricking an iPod touch is impossible. It's just that a lot would have to go wrong in order to brick it and you would have to be doing something dumb like throwing dead firmware at the iPod to brick it, but it IS possible.

7. Sparx thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok well, I just downloaded ZiPhone and I pressed Jail Break on ZiPhone and my ipod just has a black screen and just says:

BSD root: md0, major 2, minor 0

It says that over and over again on my ipod. Now what?

8. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

right, BUT you would have to know what you are doing to do that, and pwnage is a little smarter than that, so, unless you WANT to brick it, it is not possible for a regular user

EDIT: oh, and i do believe there is no "bricked" string, so even if an ipod is rendered useless, it is not bricked, becouse it has to string file to say so. (and i believe it refers to the phone being locked, since it was unlocked)

9. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

put your ipod in restore mode, restore it in itunes, then use ZiPhone again. the easiest way to put it in restore mode is to turn your ipod all the way off using the slide to power off method, then hold the home button while plugging in the usb cord and keep holding the home button until the icon appears prompting you to plug it into itunes. if you can't turn it all the way off by using the slide to power off method then you have to do it a different way. hold down both buttons until the apple logo appears. as soon as it appears let go of the sleep/wake button but keep holding the home button until prompted to plug it into itunes

10. nintendude macrumors 6502

don't use ziphone again, this happened to me and every time i did this, i got the same line of code you got.

i remember reading it has something to do w/ the 16GB iPod touch

if you are on Mac, i would suggest iJailbreak, worked really well for me

11. Switz213 macrumors 6502

Bricking an iPod touch IS impossible. It is possible to brick, but only in the case of a hardware defect in which Apple will replace it. It is possible to brick things like Psp's very easily with custom firmware, but an iPod touch, as of now, is impossible to brick through the use of custom firmware. And yeah... Don't try to make your own firmware.

12. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

they fixed the 16gb ipod problem at build 2.6b, if memory serves me correct the bsd root error is down to a nvram problem (not sure what the nvram is like lol), build 2.6b of ziphone has a nvram fix option but they said they fixed it in the latest build but as the OP has proven it doesn't seem the case lol, best option is to try again with a different app

13. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

ziphone is up to version 3.0. it should work one click, but if the program freezes then you have a problem, but that can happen with any app

14. Sparx thread starter macrumors newbie

Woot ZiPhone. Thanks guys I finally got my iPod jail broken with no problems. It's great I have so many cool apps. :D

15. StinkyTurbo macrumors newbie

i tried restoring my ipod and when its done it says

The iPod "iPod" could not be restored. An unknown error occured(1604)

do u have any idea what the heck that is??

16. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I never insisted the latest version was 2.6b I was merely commenting about the fact someone was saying they 16gb touch was the route of the problem and I was merely correcting them in saying the 16gb ipod issue had been fixed in 2.6b

17. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

ZOMG REALLY! i was just saying the latest version was 3.0, not trying to tell you otherwise.