Can anything make MBP talk to hi-fi?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RzrbldeSuitcase, Nov 21, 2008.

1. RzrbldeSuitcase macrumors newbie

Hi hope this is the right forum i was torn between this and peripherals but it is talking about what to buy so...

Basically I've got MBP and an iPod classic and this year at christmas was going to treat myself to a hi-fi and a griffen iTrip, used before with old iPod and worked great, but just wondered is there anything (peripheral or perhaps a special feature on a hi-fi) that can allow your MBP talk to your hi-fi wirelessly? As in how an iTrip allows your iPod to talk to your hi-fi?
    Whether it be airport or bluetooth or fm transmitting?

Thanks for any help.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

3. jampat macrumors 6502a

Check out Airport Express, if your computer is on a wireless network, it can grab wireless iTunes music I believe (can't remember the details, should be easy for you to look up). You could also use the Griffen, although the quality of the music will be butchered.

4. RzrbldeSuitcase thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the info fellas,

just to confirm i wouldn't need an airport extreme if I've already got a wireless router set up?

plus what cable would i need to connect it to a hi-fi?

5. belvdr macrumors 603

You need the Airport Express to wirelessly stream music to it, then it goes out the Audio Out jack. For that, you need a 3.5mm to stereo RCA (guessing as I have no idea what you intend to connect it to).

6. RzrbldeSuitcase thread starter macrumors newbie

well my idea was to buy a mini hi-fi to connect it to but after looking at the express, I don't really need a cd, fm radio, or DAB function,

so can anyone suggest something?

Could i just use an airport express with standalone speakers? or would i need an amplifier as standalone speakers might be passive? I'm not sure what I'm doing here but willing to listen to anyone who does! I'm looking at spending around £80 then £60 on the express.

So obviously nothing too flash, just something to play my itunes music on wirelessly with better sound than my MBP speakers which shouldn't be too hard! ;)

7. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Future-proof yourself. Buy a good 5.1 AVR (Harman Kardon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, maybe even Pioneer or Sony) with lots of RCA, coaxial and optical inputs (maybe even with a built-in HDMI-swith and upscaler). Then, buy two good speakers (so don't buy Bose), the AirPort Express, an optical cable and you're set. Then, in due time, you can add three or four speakers (two for surround, one for center, plus maybe a subwoofer). Watching television with the sound going through such a setup is leaps and bounds beyond anything you'll get from any TV, too. Plus, watching films is just awesome, with good 5.1 sound.

Trust me, good audio is too important to economize.

8. RzrbldeSuitcase thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah that will be a great setup in a few years but as a student who just wants a nice setup for my student room any ideas on more economically based decisions?

What you say would be great but doubt i will get near to that without going towards £400

9. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Ah, yes, you're right. On a tight budget, what I described isn't too realistic. But I have it now (not being a student anymore helps a lot) and it rocks. Well, I don't have an AirPort Express, but I do have an optical cable running from my iMac to my AVR.

10. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

The simplest way to do it would be to get the airport express and a pair of powered speakers (small ones are very cheap, and very good ones cost around $150 here in the UK).
    Or you could get a cheap hi fi amp and some good passive speakers for about $50-100 more.
    Airport Express will output from a 3.5mm headphone jack, or optical digital (from the same socket). They're brilliant, I've got them all over the house. When everyone's out, I get Itunes to play the same (loud) music from four different rooms at the same time...

11. RzrbldeSuitcase thread starter macrumors newbie

That sounds great, just what I'm after, any examples???