Can Apple actually tell if I replace the SSD in a rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dovahkiing, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Dovahkiing macrumors regular

I just picked up a refurbished rMBP with the standard 256GB SSD. I'm thinking of upgrading the hard drive myself, which looks pretty easy to do, but I know this will void the warranty if Apple found out and I ever needed to make a warranty claim.

My question is: Does Apple actually have any way to tell if I've opened the computer up? Assuming I didn't strip any screws and put back the stock SSD before bringing it in, how could they tell?

Not that I plan on using the warranty -- I just want to know for sure if it'll be something I have to give up if I want to upgrade.

And I know, this is something I would have had done by Apple when I got it, but the refurbished selection and pricing options didn't make that a viable option when I bought it.

2. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

You could keep the original SSD and put it back if ever you need assistance from Apple.

3. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

If you do things right, there's no way Apple or anyone can tell that you opened it up. I opened up my rMBP several times and, two weeks ago, I had to have the screen replaced. I even opened it up right before I took it in. Warranty applied and they replaced the screen with no issues.

4. mangotears macrumors member

There is some blu loctite on the screws which will come off but I doubt they would check for that, let alone deny service because of it.

5. Dovahkiing thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I had read about that too in a post talking about this from 2007.

I'm not sure how a tech would be able to tell I broke the loctite without taking the screw out himself.....and breaking the loctite...

6. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

When I put an Optibay in by 13" 2010 MBP they honestly didn't care....its up to you whether you want to risk it with a laid back Genius Bar BUT the first few times I simply switched everything back to stock...although the genius I had admitted he used an Optibay!

7. Binomio macrumors member

The only way they'll know is if they need to service the SSD, otherwise there's no way of knowing.

8. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Well, in 2007 you could open up your computer and replace things without voiding your warranty.

9. mangotears macrumors member

Same way you can tell if you've popped a cherry..
    It's there when you first unscrew it, but then kind of crumbles off.

10. Benk3350 macrumors member

I was at the Apple Store yesterday and was talking to one of the managers. I wanted to buy the new 15" but was worried that 512gb wouldn't be enough space for me. He told me later down the road I could upgrade the SSD. I asked him if that would void the warranty. He said it will, but that if I keep the old SSD and something goes wrong, I can just put it back in then bring it to the store and no one will know any different.

So just hold on to your old SSD and you should be fine.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Replacing your flash storage will not void your warranty. The only issue you may have is if you put in your own flash drive and take in in for warranty work, Apple could try to say your flash drive is causing the problem, and deny warranty work. But putting in your own drive in no way voids the warranty.