Can Apple afford to keep using IPS panels...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daneoni, Jul 23, 2010.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

As we all know the current iPhone using IPS technology but am i the only one who thinks that will cease to be the case once there's a TN/TFT panel with the same resolution as the current phone?...or are there already TN/TFT panels with this resolution and Apple really just want to use IPS?. As it stands its the most expensive component in the phone.

Also i really thought iOS4 would include Google Maps Navigation. Google did say they were planning to bring it to iPhones after all. Is Apple not using it because they don't want to continue using Google's mapping technology and/or they don't want to anger Tom Tom, CoPilot & Navigon

2. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I think IPS gives better viewing angels and I do think Apple will stick with that technology.

3. Oversoul macrumors member

Simple answer? Yes.

The display might be the most expensive component used in the iPhone, but the overall components cost of a 16GB iPhone 4 is something like $189. Throw in a few more bucks for the 32GB. Even so, Apple is selling these phones at $599 and $699 unsubsidized. That leaves a lot of room for a healthy profit margin, even when you factor in R&D, labor, distribution and advertising costs. Apple's quarterly earnings reports should give you some indication that the company's not hurting.

Whether Apple decides to skimp for cheaper and/or inferior technology to increase their profits is another question entirely.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

The display is a whopping $28.50 with 16 GB flash costing $27 (so more for 32 GB).

Apple can afford to keep using IPS panels.

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

regarding google navigation, this came out a few months ago.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If a better, cheaper technology comes out, I'm sure Apple will consider switching to it. But only when it gives acceptable results.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The break down cost of the iPhone 4 is what, $2 more than the previous version?