Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
I can't find any info on this. I'm in college and the next television I buy will be some kind of flat screen, probably LCD. But I was admiring the Cinema displays at the Apple Store and wondering

if there is any way to get HDTV through them?

I'd be running it off my MacBook...

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
McT said:
I can't find any info on this. I'm in college and the next television I buy will be some kind of flat screen, probably LCD. But I was admiring the Cinema displays at the Apple Store and wondering

if there is any way to get HDTV through them?

I'd be running it off my MacBook...

Great question! When purchasing a monitor that expensive and large, many people ask themselves that same thing. Unfortunately out of the box, Apple’s Displays do not have television functionally, however that can be changed. Visit this website, it will show you a very good solution, that not only lets you watch live television, but use your computer as a pvr- similar to a TiVo. There is one catch however, your display must be connected to your computer for this to work. As far as HDTV goes, yes and no. The two larger displays are HD, however, you'll need to find a HDTV tuner.

Hope that helped!

-AppleIntelRock

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
apfhex said:
If your HDTV receiver has DVI out, then yes. Otherwise your out of luck. You couldn't use it with the MacBook at the same time anyway.
Keep in mind the above will ONLY work with the 23" display, for the 20" is not HD, and the 30 inch has dual link dvi, which is not supported on HDTV boxes.
-appleintelrock

Integrity

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2008
Sydney
you need an apple mac to run it.
I have purchased 2 Apple cinema TV HD screens . They cannot run on their own. Need to hook up to Apple Mac to run it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.