Can Apple do a battery diagnostic test over the phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rhyno37, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Rhyno37 macrumors regular

I'm starting to think I may need a new battery. Only problem is I am out of warranty and the closest Apple store is 3 hours away. I understand that I'd have to pay $79 to get it swapped, but can Apple do a battery diagnostic over the phone before I send it in? I don't have another phone to use.

2. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I'm guessing you have an iPhone 5. Is so, you might want to check if it falls under Apple's recall for a free battery replacement.

Also, if it is a 5, you may qualify for the sleep/wake button recall. When they fix the button, they also replace the battery. If you take it to the store, the can provide a loaner.

Lastly, if you want to check your battery's health, use ibackupbot.

Also - I don't think they can run the diagnostic over the phone. cant hurt to call

3. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I'm unfamiliar with the app you recommended. How can an iTunes management app on my computer assess the health of my iPhone's battery?

4. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Ibackupbot can connect to your iphone via USB. It can read the battery's stats and can determine how much charge it can hold. Compare that to the rated capacity, and you get an idea whether your battery is shot or not.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Yes they can. They ask you to visit an apple page that runs a test and they get the details.

https://iosdiags.apple.com/ios/

6. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

They can run the battery diagnostic for you and also let you know if your iPhone 5 is covered by either if those programs.

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Thanks. Had never heard of the app. Might check it out.

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

They can do a diagnostic simply by e-mailing and pressing a link on there.

9. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

they absolutely CAN check the battery remotely. Among other things (background app issues, etc.)