Can Apple do porting on release day?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bawstun, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

I have AT&T but want to switch to Sprint. I went today to pre-order and of course the model is already sold out a day later (but I could only do it today).

So I was wondering if I went on launch day (I know it's a nightmare) if they could do that in-store or not?

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Just give them a call 1800-apple

3. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Apple does not perform the number porting. In your case Sprint will request the port as part of your activation steps. You will need to have your AT&T information when you purchase / activate. With the new iOS 5 no PC/Mac requirement it should be even quicker since there is no need to connect to iTunes. However since it is Launch day all the servers will be hammered: In the US: Apple, AT&T, Verizon, Sprint... so expect some delays

Note: Porting may take more than 24 hrs at Launch due to the heavy demand. Your new phone will be able to make calls usually in about 15 minutes after activation but receiving calls depends on the port completing.

Special Note: Don't cancel your current AT&T phone service! Sprint will take care of that for you when you activate your new device. Once the number is ported, AT&T will close your account and send you a final bill for service and it will include any ETF fee.

Dave