can apple find out?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by Dr Kevorkian94, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

well like many people i have jailbroken my ipad. so i want to restore it now once i do so is there any way apple can find out that i did jailbreak. i think i heard i had to like erase everything using the reset in settings but is this true?

thanks in advance:p

2. lee.anderson macrumors regular

lee.anderson

Once you restore your iPad with iTunes, there will be no evidence of the jailbreak. Apple won't know a thing.

3. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

ok thanks just making shure, i read a thread earlier that if u bring into a store they can somehow know but thanks thats good to know.

4. DisneyRicky macrumors regular

DisneyRicky

Quick Question...

Why can't Apple find out? Don't you think they have something out there that can see that you have Cydia (logo shows up in iTunes). I'm surprised they haven't done something that finds out that you are jailbroken, and give you some sort of screen that everyone can see! Like "This is why you don't jailbreak!" or something like that...I could see them doing that

5. p-rice macrumors regular

Restoring erases everything. There are no traces of Cydia found after a full sweep. After all, jailbreaking is nothing but software.

6. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Even better than a simple iTunes restore (imho, I could be wrong) is a DFU mode restore ("hard reset"). "Device firmware upgrade" mode erases everything and anything on your iDevice, and restores to default factory settings. There is zero trace of any jailbreak if you do this, and if a genius takes your iPad, takes it to the back and comes back and tells you it's jailbroken after you wiped it in DFU mode...then he's ******** you.

Apple cannot know if you restore from DFU mode.

7. Jinkst macrumors regular

Just a heads up on all this. There are one tweaks that will not disappear with a restore. I haven't restored my iPad yet to see if anything stays around but after adding battery percentage to my iPhone 3G even after a restore it stayed on as a feature.

Just be mindful of those little things, such as if you've changed the iPad text in the top left corner to personalize it. It may stay after the restore. Of course in the case of that example, you can just rejailbreak and change it back to iPad then restore again. But just an example.

8. Hexxeh macrumors member

This doesn't apply to the iPad (yet), but if you have an iPhone or iPod Touch that's been "Pwned", I guess it's possible to check for that. They don't, though. I took my iPhone in for service last year after just disabling Winterboard and hiding all the JB stuff, they happy replaced the display and home button without question.

Only if you restore the backup, I think.

9. p-rice macrumors regular

Yes it's true, only if you restore the backup. I did a simple restore on iTunes on my iPad and the tweaks like custom text were gone BUT after loading the backup, the custom text was back again.