Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

backupdrummer

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2004
Chi town
yes. It can talk with AOLs video service but only if both parties have full video and audio capability. Also on the PC you can use Trillian Pro and connect through AOLs service for video.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
You can text chat to almost all networks if you set up a jabber account in ichat.

Most of my mates are using MSN so i use ichat with a jabber account to talk to em.

cyberdogl2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
they can talk to each other successfully. my sister at stanford has an isight that lets my mom see her face every now and then.

road dog

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
i've found this to be the best way to video chat between mac and pc.

http://www.sightspeed.com

has a mac and pc client
free voice, video and text chat
records video messages if other party not online
works fine with isight camera and logitec cams for pc users

i tried the ichat/aol combo and it doesn't work very well... poor video quality.

fatties

macrumors regular
May 21, 2006
can someone amazing explain the whole msn/ isight thing more clearly? i thought adium did it but it doesnt? so if i get a jabber i can webcam my mates on msn? they all use either msn or gchat (throuhg the gmail client though)... or is that thing just a pretty box to take silly pics??

thanx

Heath

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2005
Canada
My experiences

I've tried a few things to get the Mac and PC to share a webcam session via MSN.
I tried Mercury MSN, which worked.. kind of... it kept crashing and the interface annoyed me to no end. So to the trash bin it went.
Squidcam worked but was a bit quirky but has the bonus of working outside of the chat/voice application you may be using.
I eventually settled (since I could find no better option) for using aMSN with the maccam drivers and I'm waiting for AdiumX to integrate voice and video. Apparently that is underway as a Google summer of code project.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Thats one thing that pisses me off about iChat. You cant vid message with other networks. All of my mates are using MSN because thats what they were force fed when they were force fed theyre PCs. Youd think Apple being as innovative as they are would come up with some kind of generic vid driver thing that allows vid chat no matter what network they are on. Im sure its more complicated than i make it sound but its not impossible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.