Can Apple install my SSD for me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lambros, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Lambros macrumors regular

Hey everyone, I'm looking at buying a 13" MBP, assuming they get upgraded soon (otherwise probably a 15"). Just wondering...I want to get a SSD inside, but I can't say I've heard the best about the stock SSDs Apple uses.

Regardless, I am a bit skeptical about my ability to open up a laptop, primarily due to the high possibility of ripping it to shreds. So, my real question is, will Apple take out their stock HDD and put in an SSD that I purchase from another company?

Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

They should be able to do that but it won't be free. Seripously, installing SSD/HD is very easy, see this tutorial. It doesn't even void warranty so I'm sure you can do that

3. Lambros thread starter macrumors regular

I know for MOST people it's an easy procedure :) but I think I would likely damage a screw or slip and make a large scratch across the bottom of the unibody -- I've seen a story or two on here of that happening. Hence, I am quite skeptical about not leaving it to the professionals. What do you recommend?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would do it by myself but I'm pretty comfortable with taking them apart since I've built a lot desktops. You could ask how much would it cost if Apple did it for you and then decide is it worth it or not. Or if you have a friend that can do it for you, ask him/her to do it for you. IMO, if you can hold a screwdriver in your hand, you can replace the HD.

5. Lambros thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice, will likely install it myself then...unless Apple don't charge for the service.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

I doubt apple will install any 3rd party hardware; if it doesn't work right, the customer would blame apple and the cause could simply be the 3rd party hardware doesn't work right.

7. thebeautyisfake macrumors regular

If you follow guides carefully and take your time, there's no reason why youl make any mistakes. Then after you can feel good because you've learnt something new :)