Can apple make minor hardware changes for new shipments?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wonderbread57, Jul 14, 2008.

1. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

If Apple wanted to change something small to the hardware could they do it? And if they designed the change now how long would it take for the change to be reflected in new apple store shipments?

Some background:
    + This post suggests that Apple's engineering team is interested in identifying hardware issues and aggressively rectifying them
    + An interesting thread shows that some iphones have the same model # (ie. MB499LL) while others of the same color and storage size differ (MB500B/A). This could be evidence of minor hardware differences (or maybe just different production date/factory).

2. Pedromiguel20 macrumors member

Enough of your ***** questions which only a few ppl even know the answer at apple. How old are you ppl to always ask question like this.

3. ttech10 macrumors 6502

Yes they could change it. They currently are. The change will be reflected in a little over a year.

4. MacReloaded macrumors 6502

MacReloaded

Different countries have different iPhone model numbers.

Here's the entire list across the world:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937?locale=en_CA

5. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Chill out...and follow you own advice dude. (Like this, and this)

To the OP: Considering how many they have ordered and are most likely already ready to be sold, I would imagine it would take quite some time for any hardware changes to take effect.

I could be wrong though...:eek:

6. wonderbread57 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah chill. You must be mad at the world since this is the first question I've ever posted here. All my previous posts have been answers to questions... punk! why are you even here? Find another place to hand feed you apple store wait time updates.

Moving on..

These answers seem right. Apple likely won't be making modifications until next year but curious to know if anyone has heard of small mods making it out before an official refresh. This info about minor HW circuit mods before a major dev cycle is not unique to Apple and thus it is very possible that there are members of this board that can lend some insight.

7. dustinl4m3 macrumors regular

One of the two iPhones 3Gs I purchased on Friday morning had a faulty vibrate switch. It would sort of snap one way (down, to vibrate mode), but you had to really wrench on it to get it the other way (up, sound mode). If you really pressed hard, to the point you thought you might break something, it would "click" and stay. It also had a very yellow screen.

Upon return, the Apple store replaced it without question, but the Apple genius said it would take a little while because he had to fill out some paperwork. He said that since this was such an early return, he had to fill out some sort of "Early Product Failure" report. He mentioned that these went back to Apple manufacturing to correct defects.

8. wonderbread57 thread starter macrumors 6502