Can Apple manually sign previous basebands for individual iPhones?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by chuckd83, Mar 29, 2011.

1. chuckd83 macrumors regular

I'm not asking will they, but does Apple have the capability to sign a lower baseband for individual iPhones that can connect to iTunes and downgrade? Meaning if I call them up and say that I want a lower iOS and baseband, can (not will) the tech adviser do this through iTunes? Or is it a system wide thing out of their capability?

2. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

uhhm, could Jesus really walk on water?

The answer to your question is of course yes. They are most certainly technically able to let certain UDID's pass signature checks, through white listing, on lower firmware version. But they won't.

btw, you seem to have confused baseband w/ firmware

3. Fuchal macrumors 68020

From my understanding, even if you are signed for a previous update, the baseband will not downgrade.

4. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

correct

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Bb is hard coded. You have to replace the bb chip to get a lower bb. Factory unlock phones are the only ones that retain unlock on bb>1.59.
    Supposedly, there's a place in China that'll replace the chip to lower your bb, but I can't vouch for its reliability. Also, you're without your phone for a while. It's around $80-90.

7. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

While I agree that apple is very unlikely to help you. You can downgrade the baseband on an Iphone 4 only since it has a signing procedure that technically allows downgrades on both firmware and baseband. There is no know way to downgrade the baseband on a 3gs.

8. himni, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

himni macrumors regular

Actually with the iPhone 4 you could downgrade the baseband if you were able to store the SHSH (or whatever it would be for the BB) for them. The dev-team and others haven't been able to figure out how to store the BB SHSH because it is different every time it is requested. Basically it doesn't stay the same like SHSHs do for the firmware. People have in the past (on this forum) downgraded their BB back to the official BB after they tried out one of the iOS betas. So it is possible but Apple has to still be signing the BB you want. Hopefully notcom, the dev-team and others find a way to store the BB SHSH so we can easily downgrade the BB and make the phone unlockable at will.

I don't think this is possible with the 3GS/3G/2G since the BB is handled differently than the way it is now handled on the iPhone 4. I think the way the iPhone handles the BB was actually meant to be a security feature so you had to upgrade your BB and couldn't stick with the old unlockable one/s but it kind of blew up in Apple's face since it allows us another way to preserve the BB when upgrading to a newer iOS.

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

whos this hispanic fellow your speak of that can walk on water?

10. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

Yeah, but it was winter time.

11. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

haha nice

12. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yes they "technically" can, I don't think they can do it over the phone, they will need an special instance of their server (one just like the special instance that Tiny Umbrella creates). But yes If they wanted to, they can, those special instances already exits on test stations and refurbishes facilities.

Will they ever do it? well, you know the answer to that.