Can Apple permanantly block jailbreak on all future firmware?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jta98z, May 26, 2010.

1. jta98z macrumors newbie

I am looking into buying an iPad. To save the $130 for buying the 3G model I am thinking of just buying the Wifi model, then jailbreak my iPhone, use the MyWi app and tether my iPhones 3G to the iPad. I am worried however that eventually Apple will figure out how to permanantly block jailbreaks and then I have spent $500 on an iPad that won't do what I wanted it for(internet on the road).

2. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

They've been trying to do that with each release.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

4. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

If you want internet on the road, why not just use your iPhone, and not bother with an iPad? No?

5. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

I don't think they will.

There is always someone who can work out a way to get round things.

6. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I worry about this as well. If apple somehow blocks are makes it extremely difficult to jailbreak, I will not be purchasing another iphone and will buy a droid. Jailbreaking is the only reason I'm still using an iphone.

7. Jeeves macrumors newbie

Jeeves

If apple do make jailbreaking impossible, which i will bet it will be very hard for them to do so. Just do not update to that new firmware and stick with the jailbreakable old one which satisfy your needs for MyWi and tethering

8. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

They have been trying for there years and failed each and every time.

9. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

But at the same time, it's getting harder and harder to jailbreak with each OS and hardware update.

It's also a main reason why I chose Android. Google in a way encourages people to root their phones, as they have released some apps especially for those who have root access. Wifi tether is one of them.

10. jta98z thread starter macrumors newbie

The only problem with that is if another major firmware release comes out in the future and does not support jailbreaking I will miss out on all the new features it may add to the phone.

See the problem is I need to purchase an iPad before OS 4.0 is released but I won't know which iPad to purchase until I know whether OS 4 will support jailbreaking.

11. nycbhh macrumors member

I thought OS 4.0 has already been jailbroken? (Or the beta of it at least.)

12. NorrisKillsKids macrumors 6502a

The people who do the jailbreaking are extremely talented/smart. Apple can try but for the most part it is futile.

13. Dan14 macrumors regular

Another one of these threads?

If Apple didn't want people to jailbreak, they would have disabled it ages ago. It's a clever marketing tactic to make the iphone more desirable. Imagine how many people would sell the phone if jailbreaking was disabled?

They are making it harder to keep it a challenge. It's all one big game. Of course Apple could stop it if they wanted, thing is, they don't.

14. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Wow, that's a whole lot of nonsense. How exactly does it help Apple? They basically lose all app sales with a jailbroken phone, not to mention the massive resale market because of jailbreaking, of which Apple gets ZERO profit from.

Conspiracy theory much?

The truth is Apple has tried to shut down jailbreaking. They even disallowed a video from a jailbroken phone in a court case because it was obtained "illegally"!

The problem with "shutting down jailbreaking" is that its not possible. There is no magic switch that stops jailbreaking forever. There are flaws in every program and the iPhone dev team finds them and exploits them. There will always be flaws and there will always be jailbreaking. Just look at the Sony PSP if you want an example.

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

There's a simple fact here. As long as it's possible to put official Apple software on the device, then it'll always be possible to put unofficial software on there too. Apple may make it more difficult with each release, but it'll always be possible.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given that its been getting more difficult with each OS revision, and the fact that apple loses out on revenue means that there may be a time where its impracticable for someone to try to jailbreak it.

Yeah someone may figure it out, but the work effort and risk of bricking the phone out weigh the benefit. I don't think we're there yet but I do think we're getting close.

Plus as another poster mentioned, the ease of which you can root most android phones (the one exception - incredible) and the cottage industry of custom roms for android phones mean that there could be people who had worked on JBing an iPhone jump ship for the other platform where openness is embraced.

17. Dan14 macrumors regular

I'm sorry, I don't remember linking jailbreaking with piracy, I believe you made that link. Since when does jailbreaking directly result in pirating apps? Jailbreaking is about opening the platform up to allow the full capabilities of the iphone to be utilised - giving Apple a lot of publicity. Just google jailbreak and tell me how many results come up - that's a fair bit of publicity the iphone has don't you think?

Haha, and you reckon they're unable to? What does that say about Apple Engineers who BUILT the software? That some teenage kid can outcode them? Oh please!

Proof? Are you sure about that?

True, but don't you find it coincidental that the flaws found directly result in the ability to jailbreak? It's not just any flaw which makes it possible, it has to be substantial enough for the jailbreak to be implemented.

I mean come on, stop being so naive! If Apple wanted it stopped, it would be. Do you not think their Engineers are aware of a jailbreak and can decode the way in which it is implemented? The method has not changed so substantially that it's a new method each time. I mean look at the latest jailbreak, it's a userland hack back from the 1.x days - Seriously! Funny how that one has cropped up again... I wonder why the 2.x and 3.1.2 jailbreaks weren't userland? hmmm... :rolleyes:

A simple way to stop jailbreaking is to do what Android does... Make unlocking the bootloader (or jailbreaking in Apple's case) a hardware trigger. Users will think twice if they realise it's irreversible!

18. rkswat macrumors regular

I agree with him.

No really I have no clue but he sounds convincing.

19. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

Here Here

Same page i'm in. If I can't have my Google Voice, 3g unrestrictor, , MyWi, or free tethering I have now then they can keep this phone :mad: as Cydia has been the only reason I have kept it up to this point. Other then that I probably would close out my ATT account in Dec and see if there are any more super phones coming out. Honestly I would rather have a web browser that plays flash with HDMI outs then a ipod touch with FUN games :( .

20. Dan14 macrumors regular

Agreed! But at the end of the day, jailbreaking is down to personal preference and use.

21. Excluse macrumors member

For example, lets take some sort of secure government information server that has vital info that should be on lockdown.
    Somehow, one or a group of hackers breaches the security.
    Yeah, I'm sure the government set it up so they could "play a game" with the hackers.

If it can happen on to the government who should technically have the best/ latest technology for security, it can happen to a company like Apple.
    As long as there's software that's not meant to be cracked, people will take the time to find a way to get around it, always.

22. Dan14 macrumors regular

I didn't debate the fact people will spend time to develop a way around Apple's security measures.

But your comparison is fundamentally different. Hacking into a server uses prebuilt tools with set/known algorithms to bypass security policies to obtain/download information.

Now, can you really compare the two timeframes? No. If, in fact, Apple are not deliberately leaving a hole to jailbreak then fair enough, maybe they need to hire some better security engineers. But really, in the time it takes to crack the software, you really think they're doing their hardest?

There isn't any right or wrong answer, I'm simply trying to demonstrate that it's in Apple's best interest to leave the jailbreak open and I think if they really wanted to patch it they would have already. I don't think comparing it to any other sort of "hack" is a fair comparison due to the differing natures and purposes of it.

23. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

24. Dan14 macrumors regular

Exactly. Spot on.

25. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Why would Apple waste resources blocking the jailbreaks if they wanted to allow it to continue? To "play along"? I guess they were "playing along when the jailbreaking issue went to court? They were "playing along" when they spent millions in legal fees trying to make it illegal. They were also "playing along" when that jailbreak video got thrown out of court.

Palm and Apple went back and forth with iTunes syncing for almost a year until it was decided in court. Palm was able to trick iTunes into thinking the Pre was an iPhone. Apple would then update iTunes to stop it. Palm would then update the Pre and the cycle went on and on. A great example of how every program has holes.

Haha you reckon they're able to stop it. Why don't you show some proof? My proof is out there. They haven't been able to stop it. Where's your proof that they can? Oh wait.:rolleyes:

The engineers are aware of it and they stop it with every update. But the dev team finds a new hole in the system. Why don't you go read their blog and do some research? You'll see the hole is never in the same place twice.

Did your read their blog on 3.1.3?

Apple wanted to force out new exploits. Just the dev team was too wise to take the bait. BTW, the dev team does have some teenagers but what about it? All of the new engineering jobs go to new grads and college students. Look at the engineer who lost the new iPhone Graw Powell. Dude didn't look a day over 22. Teenagers have had computers their entire lives. Coding is something learned in high school, no degree required.

You call me naive, and then disregard piracy? THAT my friend is naive. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Also, google iPhone and see how many hits come up. Don't think Apple needs any more publicity. They've already got leaks everywhere all over the news, why would they need jailbreaking to boost their ratings?