Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmanamous

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
I have recently noticed I have an animated screensaver appearing on my Macbook Pro, with 'Apple News' dated October 2011 about iOS 5 and iCLOUD.
I did not install that on my computer. Can a third party do this?
And if they can, who gave them the rights and authority to do so?
Do the press know that this is going on?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
It's a well known fact that Apple downloads software every night without your permission. Either that or it's a standard screen saver that ships with every Mac. :rolleyes:

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Wow, they did it to me too! Back when I first installed OS X and it was installed along with all the other software! I can't believe it!:rolleyes:

Seriously, that's always been there, and it's just updating from Apple "Hot News" RSS feed. A little paranoia isn't necessarily a good thing.

jW

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
The software update function can be set to only work on demand. Just go to System Preferencs-Software Update. I have mine set to not install, just download.

It does "place software on my machine", but it does it with your permission.

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
The screensaver has always been there.

The info about iOS 5 is not software that's been downloaded, it's a news feed from Apple.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
The software update function can be set to only work on demand. Just go to System Preferencs-Software Update. I have mine set to not install, just download.

It does "place software on my machine", but it does it with your permission.

Nothing to do with Software Update, which only updates the software you've already installed and doesn't install anything new anyways. Reading the thread before responding is helpful.

jW

AmbiguousNinja

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2011
Whoa, you're pretty quick to conclusions aren't you? No need to worry anyway, a screensaver isn't going to bring down an OS especially since its been there since you got your mac. :p

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Nothing to do with Software Update, which only updates the software you've already installed and doesn't install anything new anyways. Reading the thread before responding is helpful.

jW

I did fully read the thread. I was pointing out that Apple does download software via software update and can install it if you have it set up that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.