Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TapHappy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2009
They revolutionized the MP3 market with the iPod/iTunes one two punch.

They transformed the smartphone market (many had doubts!) with the iPhone. How could a computer company make a better phone than all the cell phone companies combined!?

With the pending release of Apple's rendition of the tablet the next decade is going to be off to a great start!

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
The question you mean to ask is; will they be selling it?

Well, he did say "pending release," implying that there is a production model. I've seen no evidence of that (rumors of touchscreen shortages notwithstanding). That is not to say that there definitely won't be, but I think it's too early to discuss how revolutionary it will be.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Apple has the power to innovate and change the media market like no other. Two reasons for this:

1. They are sitting on a huge pile of cash. There's really no limits to what they can invest in R&D. They have no debt, and more money than god.

2. They have massive clout in the phone and media industries. They've built a huge amount of credibility through their past successes. When Steve tells media CEOs that their next product will "blow the market out of the water", they damn well believe him. AT&T knew this and bet the farm to get the iPhone, and Apple's word carries even MORE weight now, almost 3 years after that exclusivity deal was first cut.

I'm very excited about what's in store for the tablet.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
While a tablet does pique my interest, I do have questions about it.

Is it a large version of the iPod Touch?
Is it more like a netbook?

Etc. I know I'd be more than interest in it depending upon the cost. I'm not a fanboy. I use linux, windows, and Mac on a daily basis. But for these neat little toys, my iPhone is hard to beat.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Apple would have to bring two key points to the table. The tablet would have to be considerably better than what's out there. It would also have to be more affordable than people expect.

When the Cube came out, as great and revolutionary as it was, the price point killed it. So Apple came back with the mini, and the price was right, and the mini lives on today.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Put me down for epic fail on this one.

If there is an Apple Tablet it only exists to placate Jobs' insatiable appetite for devices without buttons.

I see no practical market for a tablet.

e-reader? e-ink is better than any display screen for books

no keyboard? people complain now about no keyboard on the iPhone

Cellular? who is going to sign up for another data plan when everyone has an iphone

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Why is this in the iPhone forum?

Are you saying that the Apple tablet will be a phone?

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.

I think the OP was just saying that this is a precursor for more good things to come, or something to that effect. However, he acts like the Tablet is a done deal in January. I don't know where he gets this idea.

no, but the iphone forum has sort of been a haven for those in love with iphone-ish technology. the tablet will be similar to an iphone, just larger.

I think the iSlate (i'll go ahead and call it that from now on, for funsies), will run on the iphone OS. This is because Mac OS was not designed for touch. With the smaller screen and touch capabilities I think Mac OS would be a failure on the iSlate. On the other hand I think the iPhone OS is far too simplistic to be used on a tablet... hmm.... this initially led me to believe Apple has created some entirely new hybrid 3rd kind of OS, designed for the iSlate. But in reality I don't know if Apple can carry on 3 separate OS's and keep them at the top of the competition. So I think the iPhone OS will be overhauled and enhanced is so many ways (which will end up helping iphone users). Of course some features won't be present on the iphone, just as now some aren't on the iTouch. But all three will still be running the same OS.

superstrikertwo

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2008
California
no, but the iphone forum has sort of been a haven for those in love with iphone-ish technology. the tablet will be similar to an iphone, just larger.

I think the iSlate (i'll go ahead and call it that from now on, for funsies), will run on the iphone OS. This is because Mac OS was not designed for touch. With the smaller screen and touch capabilities I think Mac OS would be a failure on the iSlate. On the other hand I think the iPhone OS is far too simplistic to be used on a tablet... hmm.... this initially led me to believe Apple has created some entirely new hybrid 3rd kind of OS, designed for the iSlate. But in reality I don't know if Apple can carry on 3 separate OS's and keep them at the top of the competition. So I think the iPhone OS will be overhauled and enhanced is so many ways (which will end up helping iphone users). Of course some features won't be present on the iphone, just as now some aren't on the iTouch. But all three will still be running the same OS.

I think "iSlate" will be running full on Snow Leopard Apple built it to be more touch friendly larger buttons ect.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Almost certainly this will be running Mobile OSX 4.0 so is heavily related to the iPhone/iPod Touch.

The magic here is that this is tech + design (for media and device) + business model (iTMS etc). No other company can bring this stuff together like Apple right now - I'd like to see that change as a monopoly is never good.

See this if you're not convinced:

http://vimeo.com/8217311

Time to buy Apple shares. They'll likely use a similar approach to smash the TV industry later on in the year.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
No, they won't do it again. Yes, it may sale. Yes, it might look awesome. No, it's not going to be revolutionary like the iPod.

I think not many people are needing such a tablet yet. But it might grow bigger in the upcoming years (like the iPod, it really became big when Windows was supported).

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
No, they won't do it again. Yes, it may sale. Yes, it might like awesome. No, it's not going to be revolutionary like the iPod.

I think not many people are needing such a tablet yet. But it might grow bigger in the upcoming years (like the iPod, it really became big when Windows was supported).

It may sale and it might like awesome indeed.

ksoze

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
If there is an Apple Tablet it only exists to placate Jobs' insatiable appetite for devices without buttons.

His hunger is our gain. Bring it on. Buttons, we don't need no stinkin buttons. Hard buttons promote static features and have come to represent volume and power keys in today's slimmed down device market. Apple's firm insistence that the iPhone volume keys not be used for other uses for example is why Apple can create an environment for users no others have duplicated to date. Sometimes gestapo like development tactics create an ecosystem that can reach a wider audience and actually promote development.

I see no practical market for a tablet.
I suspect Apple will use their market data which may include a sample size larger than yours. Although they have had misses over the last three decades, Apple has been able to keep a pulse on the wants of the buying public and if there is a tablet, it will have been built based in part on market data. The odds are in their favor here.

no keyboard? people complain now about no keyboard on the iPhone

People are complaining about the Droid having a keyboard. I think the no keyboard complaints were initial whining by early adopters and also those who have not ever actually used one. People complain about anything and the lack of a real keyboard has obliviously not dented the iPhone's success to date. Real complaining is good and creates good products - but the amount of complaining will determine which features get implemented.

goldsheld

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2009
Steve Jobs very happy

Reports are that Steve Jobs is very happy.
And there will be a surprise re: the user interface.
Could it be that Apple already has successfully implemented voice commands, ala Star Trek?

goldsheld

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2009
Voice commands

People are wondering what OS.
How about iPhone OS that responds to voice commands?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
People are complaining about the Droid having a keyboard. I think the no keyboard complaints were initial whining by early adopters and also those who have not ever actually used one. People complain about anything and the lack of a real keyboard has obliviously not dented the iPhone's success to date. Real complaining is good and creates good products - but the amount of complaining will determine which features get implemented.

People are complaining about the quality of the Droid's keyboard, not that it has one.

macsimo

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2009
Scotia, NY/Clermont, FL
Apple likes to "blow the doors" over whatever is out there. Don't forget, that this tablet, iSlate has been in development for years. It is not going to be just another netbook, you can be sure about that. Next year at this time, all the other companies will be copying what Apple introduces. They did it with the original iMac, the iPod, and the iPhone. Apple is a leader and innovator, not a follower.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Apple likes to "blow the doors" over whatever is out there. Don't forget, that this tablet, iSlate has been in development for years. It is not going to be just another netbook, you can be sure about that. Next year at this time, all the other companies will be copying what Apple introduces. They did it with the original iMac, the iPod, and the iPhone. Apple is a leader and innovator, not a follower.
They have to try really hard to disapoint people (just because there aren't many tablets around - only standard Windows stuff etc.). There's no big market for a tablet yet, so they can't disapoint people yet. And remember that the impending Apple slate has been cancelled over and over again: you shouldn't forget that.

It's not a product where they worked on for many years, it's a project they worked on for years.

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata
Apple is capable of pulling it off again, then again, they could miss the boat....again.

Apple TV anyone? While certainly not an abject failure, ( I like mine), I don't see where it has revolutionized the industry.

tritonj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
They transformed the smartphone market (many had doubts!) with the iPhone. How could a computer company make a better phone than all the cell phone companies combined!?
!

they didn't make a better phone, the iPhone as a phone is not all that great, what they did do was make the best UI to date for a mobile device.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
they didn't make a better phone, the iPhone as a phone is not all that great, what they did do was make the best UI to date for a mobile device.
You can't make a phone better except for better voice sound. A phone is to call, a phone which isn't able to make a phone call isn't a phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.