Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Why do Apple say they won't/can't reset your password?

• Total voters

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
England!
Hi There

I've just been setting up two-step authentication on my Apple Account and noticed the re-occuring theme that 'Apple will not be able to reset your password on your behalf'. Does that seem odd to anybody else? Are they just been obtuse? Surely it is possible for them to do this and for them to identify someone if absolutely necessary, from many questions and information?

Do you think it is just a deterrent to make people keep their info in a safe place, or serious? Vote above or comment.

Sam

Liquidtrance

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
I was about to set that up this morning until I ran into that little piece of information. I then proceeded to back out and close all the windows carefully.

I find it odd they're letting users potentially back themselves into a corner where they are completely and totally forever locked out of their accounts for all eternity...... :confused:

This same thing happened with my Blizzard account, but they had a process to back everything out and reset my account after verifying my identity. Yes it was a hassle but it worked.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Hi There

I've just been setting up two-step authentication on my Apple Account and noticed the re-occuring theme that 'Apple will not be able to reset your password on your behalf'. Does that seem odd to anybody else? Are they just been obtuse? Surely it is possible for them to do this and for them to identify someone if absolutely necessary, from many questions and information?

Do you think it is just a deterrent to make people keep their info in a safe place, or serious? Vote above or comment.

Sam
It can be done in two-factor systems. The question is, do they allow it?
Their policy is clearly no.

Do they give that control to the customer call center support peons, do they have the reset button with a policy not to reset it, or did they deny them the reset button altogether. That is the question.

The call center peon probably "can't"
Definitely, somewhere an Apple engineer can; but he or his team isn't going to be accessible.

Apple is smart to keep that function under tight control. They already had one very public security breach this year using similar method.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
What's the point of the system if you can just call them up and they will reset a password for you?

Just remember your password or keep your recovery devices close by or put your recovery key in a safe spot. Its not like the pw is a single line of defense here. Personal responsibility comes into play as well.....which shouldn't make us inherently squeamish.

border terrier

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2013
England
I'm sorted now thanks. It seems I wasn't authorised despite a 5 day wait from when I requested it. Had the email now and the setup went fine.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
It's their policy, after the whole gizmodo thing, that Apple wont reset ANY passwords for you. If you want to reset a password - use iForgot. End of conversation. And you forgot an option in your poll - "because they want people to take responsibility for their password, and don't want to introduce a security weakness into the system".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.