Can Apple stores clean dust?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dstar, Apr 6, 2012.

1. dstar macrumors regular

I swapped my iPad yesterday for a new one. I'm pleased with the new display in general except for two small light grey spots on the screen. One you have to look fairly hard for, the other is a bit more noticeable but near the home button so it's kind of out of the way (still not the easiest thing to notice). My guess is that it's dust under the glass but I'm not really sure. It's not detectable with the iPad off, but they do show as slightly darker spots with the display on, and more noticeable on a lighter background. I've never experienced or noticed this type of defect before on any of the ipads I've had.

Do Apple stores do any type of service? like cleaning dust? I can probably just live with what i have but it would be nice to just get this cleaned up.

I really hate playing the swapping game and find it even more difficult trying to transfer Verizon prepaid from one ipad to another. I was at a Verizon store for 50 minutes last night with them struggling to transfer service.

Another question. I never planned on buying applecare+ but if i do can i use that to exchange this iPad out at a future date due to the existing defect?

2. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

No, they can't clean dust because the iPad screen isn't really designed to come off, it's glued in place. It'll need to be sent back, to be repaired.

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

They will just replace it with a refurb and send it in to be fixed. If it is that small of a defect, they will likely rebox as a refurb and the new owners will not even notice.

4. dstar thread starter macrumors regular

I'm leaning towards keeping it. I'll see how it goes over the next few days. It certainly doesn't bother me like the shiny pink glimmer on the unit it replaced.