Can Apple Stores do in-house iPhone speaker repairs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ReanimationN, Jan 7, 2015.

1. ReanimationN macrumors 6502a

ReanimationN

As the title says, does anyone know if Apple can do in-house iPhone speaker repairs/replacements, or is the only option you have to swap for a refurb? I just got a 6+ and everything is perfect bar the external speaker, which is really quiet and muffled, even at full volume. My girlfriend's 6 and my old 5 produce much louder, clearer sound, which shouldn't be happening.

2. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

They can replace the camera. The speaker might be easier than that so maybe.

3. adock macrumors newbie

When I took my iPhone 5 in they said they wouldn't d9 any repairs there. They do a diagnostic and ship them out for repairs. But idk if they changed that for the 6/6+

4. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

It probably depends on the store actually. I've had my camera and screen replaced at my Apple Store on my 5c.

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Any time I've had a problem (home button 3GS, broken screen 3GS (my fault), lock button twice on iPhone 5, accelerometer 6+), it's been swapped for a refurb. I was never offered repairs.

I think they may repair screens, but not sure about anything else.

Refurbs are generally of very good quality though, I've never had one that has been less than perfect (apart from the first iPhone 5 refurb which the lock button failed on, but that ended up to be a recognised problem by Apple).

6. ReanimationN thread starter macrumors 6502a

ReanimationN

Interesting, they can do some in-store part swaps then. I'd heard they could, but never heard of anyone who has had one done.
    That's what I'm worried about, I've only ever been offered refurbs in the past too. I've generally been happy with the refurbs I've received, but the screen on my 6+ is so good that I don't want to lose it.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It depends on the store, the problem, and availability of techs to the do the repairs quickly enough. For most common issues, Apple will ship replacement parts for routine repairs, to stores that have tech on staff who are skilled enough to make those repairs.

If the store doesn't have a tech, or the part isn't in, or the tech is too busy to do it in a couple hours or less, then they'll just swap or send it in.

If your store consistently swaps for refurbs, then it might help to try a different, larger store.

8. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

They did speaker modules for previous phones. Not the mic though

9. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

I had previous had a speaker swapped out on a 5S at the Boca Raton, FL store

10. wongster macrumors regular

i went to one of the apple stores in my area for a speaker replacement under warranty and they changed it out. but i think they installed it facing upward. instead of correcting the speaker placement they just gave me a refurb iphone5 which was ok with me. i dropped my phone in ketchup.

11. ReanimationN thread starter macrumors 6502a

ReanimationN

The store I go to is pretty big, I think the reason that they always do swaps is because they're always busy in there, they just want people in and out. I'll try another one though and see if they'll replace the speaker. Thanks for the tip.