Can Apple Techs Access My Password Protected iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sal Collaziano, May 7, 2010.

1. Sal Collaziano macrumors regular

I'm bringing my iPhone to the "Genius Bar" tomorrow and I'm guessing I may have to leave it with them. Since I have all my logins setup automatically (Facebook, Twitter, various websites, this and that, etcetera), I don't want some kid/tech accessing all my accounts at these places.

The phone is password protected but I'm guessing that means VERY little to an Apple tech.. Should I delete everything off my phone before I bring it in?

Thanks in advance...

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yes

3. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

I would, though it probably wouldn't be an issue if you didn't. Just do a quick sync and then restore to original factory settings.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

How do you expect them to check your phone out? Just restore it.

5. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Backup the phone brahmalama. Best case scenario, they swap your phone out right then and there.

6. Sal Collaziano thread starter macrumors regular

Okay. I reset the phone and deleted all data. Being that it doesn't really do anything anymore, I don't see the error message coming up.. I get this funny feeling they're going to be like, "there's nothing wrong with it"... Hmm....

edit: Okay. I just saw the problem occur again. Good. :)

7. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

What are you having done to it? You can't drop off a phone like you can with a computer.

8. Sal Collaziano thread starter macrumors regular

I'd like to either have my phone fixed or replaced.. I imagine one of three things are going to happen as a result of my visit.

1. They do something to remedy the issue in the store.
    2. They replace the phone.
    3. They keep the phone and fix the problem over the next several days or so

I'll bring my first generation iPhone with me in case they keep it. I guess I can have that one hooked back up again...

9. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

What's the error/what's wrong with it? Knowing that could help us advise whether they're going to just replace it or not. They often don't bother taking it, taking a week or something to do repairs, and then returning it. They like to just give refurbished units if it's not something that can be immediately fixed.

10. Sal Collaziano thread starter macrumors regular

I'm back home and it's been fixed. They just needed to clean the sensors at the bottom. I was getting the error message stating that a device I was using wasn't designed for use with the iPhone. It was coming on quite a bit without anything plugged in at all..

The tech said it was pretty dirty...

11. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Nice! Glad to know it was an easy, quick fix.

12. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

you could of done it yourself. all you do is clean the dock connector with a bit of alcohol. that happened to me on my 1st gen.