Can Apple tell if the iPhone is jailbroken?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MuGeN PoWeR, Aug 10, 2012.

1. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

hey guyz need a little help. i had jailbroken my 4s. it got some hardware problem. i restored it so that it should be in factory settings. i took it to Apple store and they said that its software has been tempered. they said that the files of thie iPhone isnt showing up on our device. whats the story behind this. can some one tell me. thanks!

2. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If you restore, choose set up as new and do not restore to any backup, the phone should be clean.

If you skip a step, there might be some remainders from jailbreak.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

you didn't restore it as new before you took it to apple. you restored from a backup and you left pieces of your jailbreak for the nice genus to find.. ;)

5. MuGeN PoWeR thread starter macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

lol i am not dumb:p i did restore and set it up as a new phone!

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

well OK then you just had the Mensa Genus then!

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I call BS on that.
    If you restore and setup as new how would they say that "its software has been tempered".
    Either you're making it up or the rep that assisted you gave you a bunch of BS to get rid of you.

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Thousands upon thousands of members of the jailbreak community have taken previously jailbroken but cleanly restored iPhones into the Apple Genius desk with no issues what-so-ever.

Gotta side with you, Juice :D

9. chokem macrumors 6502

+2 on this.

10. MuGeN PoWeR thread starter macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

Well frankly speaking apple doesn't pay me to make up that. I totally agree with you he was giving bs as he got rid of me and didn't solve my problem. I was asking whether it can be done or not. Coz I didn't blv him either.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    Sounds like he fed you a story to get rid of you instead of solving your problem. There's always bad reps that instead of helping a customer they like to sit there and argue with them instead and do as less work as possible till their shift is over.
    I'd go back again and hope you get someone helpfull.

12. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I had my iPod touch (4th gen) jailbroken, and had to take it in to be looked at for light leaks, and I restored and got rid of the jailbreak and the Genius had no idea. There is NO way of knowing that the phone has been jailbroken once you reset it and wipe the jailbreak away.

I've had friends that took their jailbroken iPhone in, without getting rid of the jailbreak, and the Genius didn't even say anything (must of been a cool Genius) I think it's to the point now where Apple realizes that people ALL OVER jailbreak. Of course I would never bring in my phone to an Apple store without getting rid of the jailbreak first, just to be safe.

13. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I'm surprised that Apple is not logging UDIDs of jail broken phones thru the App Store and then denying service in the future.

14. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Apple is smart enough not to do that. They'd lose a ton of customers. People who jail break want to customize their phone. take Apps away from them?

100% they'll Jump to Android and Windows Phone

15. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

If they did that then people who don't use Installous would be forced to.

16. noiceT macrumors 6502a

Or why not ask to speak to the manager? The genius called your bluff. He feed you a bs story and you bit by not causing a scene about not knowing what the hell he was talking about.

What if he said that to the soccer mom sitting next to you, what kind of reaction do you think she would have to that statement?

17. MuGeN PoWeR thread starter macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

yeah i am going to do the same :)