can apple tell if you dont use your iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by peter88, Dec 14, 2011.

1. peter88 macrumors newbie

iv had various warranties over the years iv had an iphone but iv only ever used the warranty once to fie a broken button, but my last one ran out in july, and my iphone broke last week, can i refresh my warranty without telling them my phone is broken then get it fixed or do they know i havent used it in a while...

2. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

No you cannot.

In any circumstance you need to show the phone to them to extend the warranty so they can inspect that the phone is fully working.

3. peter88 thread starter macrumors newbie

but i cannot take my phone into a store as the nearest one is 115 miles away from where i live, so can i not refersh the warranty by phone

4. dotme macrumors 6502a

A warranty is something you buy in advance of trouble, not after trouble happens. It doesn't generally work that way. If it did, everyone would drive around without insurance until they got into an accident, then buy it.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What do u mean refresh your warranty? Once it's expired you can't extend it any more. You have to purchase and activate AppleCare before the year original warranty expires. All you can do now is pay th out of warranty fee to get the phone replaced.

6. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

If your device was still under its included warranty, then yes, you could buy the extended "AppleCare Protection Plan" over the phone. Or online. Or in a store.

But as Applejuiced said, once the included warranty on an Apple device has expired, you cannot then buy the extended AppleCare Protection Plan. It's too late.

8. peter88 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks for the replies. so like the member"applejuiced" said is there an out of warranty fee l can pay to get the phone replaced?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, its $149. They will take your faulty iphone and replace it for you.
    You can do it over the phone and they will send you the info and the replacement by mail.
    You dont have to drive to the Apple store if you dont want to.

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

Cool, I didn't know that they had reduced it (from US$199) for any iPhone older than the 4s.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, I just heard about it a few weeks ago.
    Any discounts are welcome:)

12. peter88 thread starter macrumors newbie

wow really helpful guys thankyou very much for the advice