Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
I know Apple's diagnostic software will tell them when you last restored your iPhone, but can they tell if you did a full restore or a restore from backup? Anyone know?

jas1973

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
I know Apple's diagnostic software will tell them when you last restored your iPhone, but can they tell if you did a full restore or a restore from backup? Anyone know?

you mean can they tell if you were jail broken then did a full restore as new? they might be able to tell when you did your full restore as new but other then that i dont think they would know anything other then you restored your phone..
but why do you are if they know you restored your phone?

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008

Most people say to get rid of any traces of a jailbreak, restore your phone but NOT from a backup AND setup as a new iPhone.

f4780y

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2009
Troon, Scotland
To answer your question OP, yes they can. The diagnostic sees a full firmware restore completely differently from a "restore from backup". I can confirm this.

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
I actually am not jailbroken. I have been having some issues with my iPhone 4 connecting to wireless networks and sometimes having four bars of service and no data, while my 3GS works fine.

I had my 3GS replaced before, and when I tried to replace my wife's iPod Touch for the same problem (battery not lasting as long as it should), they wouldn't because I hadn't restored it.

I don't want to restore my iPhone 4, because in all their infinite wisdom, Apple's system is SEVERELY flawed as there is no way to back up your app data in this sort of situation, and you will lose everything if you do a complete restore. I was hoping to be able to restore from backup so I could say that I had, and then they would replace my phone. Then I could come home, restore from backup, and still have all my current data on my new phone.

A complete restore is a MAJOR pain when you use your phone for business, and have tons of information saved on it. Until Apple can allow you to back up your app data separately, they will never be a true competitor in the enterprise or games markets.

Anyway, that's why I was asking. The nearest Apple store is two and a half hours away for me, so I really don't want to make the trip to find out they're going to shoot me down because I hadn't restored.

f4780y

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2009
Troon, Scotland
Similar to the situation I had with my iPhone. They will ask you if you have restored, and a "restore from backup" will not count. It will boil down to whether the genius is feeling generous or not, however their default position is normally that you should try a full restore in an attempt to fix your problem.

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I wouldn't worry about whether Apple can tell or not. If you are having a problem with your iPhone, just take it in and have them look at it for you.

lostfan916

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2007
NorCal
Restore + unplug, that is, don't set up as new or restore from bu. You still restore and don't overwrite your backup.

Or you could just backup your backup and restore from this backup when you get your replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.