Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shakeman0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
Hi All,

I have searched the forums for an answer to this but it left me more confused than satisfied as all of the threads had conflicting answers. I am considering jailbreaking my iPhone 3GS, but still have a year of warranty. If something were to go wrong after the jailbreak and I did a DFU restore, could Apple tell it has been jailbroken and refuse to service it?

All answers greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

qckslvrsiete

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Hi All,

I have searched the forums for an answer to this but it left me more confused than satisfied as all of the threads had conflicting answers. I am considering jailbreaking my iPhone 3GS, but still have a year of warranty. If something were to go wrong after the jailbreak and I did a DFU restore, could Apple tell it has been jailbroken and refuse to service it?

Thanks,

(Disclaimer: This is all anecdotal. I've never had to restore my phone from a JB for service, but this is based on similar stories that I've heard and my limited but practical knowledge of computer forensics.)

Technically, yes they can. The iPhone stores logs of all activity on the phone which the geniuses at the genius bar can access just by plugging it in. These logs get wiped out though when you restore as a new iPhone, so in the 15 minutes they usually spend with you, if you've restored as a new phone, they shouldn't be able to tell right away that you've JB'd your iphone before.

Now if for some reason you really piss apple off and they don't want to honor your warranty at all for any reason whatsoever and are determined to take the time to recover forensic data from your iPhone, then yes, they should be able to tell it's been JB'd.

Point is, you can't completely undo the traces of a Jailbreak, but from what I've heard from plenty of people, you can erase just enough that most of the time you won't get caught.

Small price to pay for freedom I guess.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Hi All,

Thanks,

If you do a DFU restore to a fresh firmware and DO NOT (I repeat - DO NOT) restore from Backup, they cannot tell if you ever jailbreak the phone or not. the logs that the Apple Diagnostics tool use are store in a location that gets Wipe with a DFU restore (and they come back with a user backup, so one more time...DO NOT restore backup).

I done it a couple of times without any issues, one time even the Apple genius asked me why did i do a DFU restore since it just showing him no info and he can't tell me what went wrong.. I told him i was trying to solve the issue so I did all I could ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.