Can Apple TV 3 be jailbroken? Difference between 720p and 1080p

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by galileofigaro, Apr 11, 2013.

1. galileofigaro, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013

galileofigaro macrumors newbie

Since I like 1080p HD I'm asking if Apple TV 3 can be jailbroken because offers that maximum resolution and not 720p like Apple TV 1 and 2.
    Is there any significan difference between the both HD resolutions?
    Thanks to all

2. BaggieBoy macrumors 6502

BaggieBoy

Your opening sentence answered your own question!

3. MFL2012 macrumors member

ATV3 supports 1080p, no jailbreak required. Which is good because there isn't one. I can tell the difference between 720 and 1080 but you have to have a really good source(Bluray or MKV rip for example).

4. dgalvan123 macrumors 6502a

. . . or 1080p home movies.

That is a significant issue for those of us with kids who take a lot of home video at 1080p. It's pretty stunning to see your memories in such detail.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

word is that the cpu in the ATV3 has hardware that blocks jailbreaks.

6. DP812 macrumors regular

A jailbreak is in progress, but it's been "in progress" for over a year now. Apple TV 3 Jailbreak said that a jailbreak would be coming before March and now it's mid-April with nothing, so don't get your hopes up.

7. pMad macrumors regular

Has the jailbreaking software been updated to allow me to jailbreak my ATV 2 running 5.2(6010.96)?

8. DP812 macrumors regular

Looks like you can with Seas0nPass.

9. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

lol that is a fake site; they have been saying the same thing since nov, then dec, jan, feb, mar, april, etc etc etc
    Don't even go to that POS site, all they want is hits and free donation money.

10. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

Nope it can't and Season pass doesn't support it either. Anyone claiming it's "in progress" is lying to generate hits to their site. Jailbreakers (musclenerd et al) gave up on it like a month after it came out

For some reason I keep kidding myself and searching reputable places too, but it's silly.

TBH this was the start of me going off Apple a bit. I tolerated the locked down nature when they weren't so hardline about it, but now that they come down on it with the energy of a thousand suns...yeah.

11. thehustleman macrumors 65816

Why prevent jailbreaking?

If anything they should embrace it, it only means you sell more units. Shouldn't have to jailbreak to get the best user experience.

12. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

Because they're greedy. Why sell a device that has access to your own content (pre purchased on other systems, ripped from owned dvd as per fair use etc) when they can force you to pay cinema prices to rent a movie over iTunes?

13. Parasprite macrumors 68000

Parasprite

You can do this without jailbreaking, they just don't supply a way to convert the videos for you.

Eeyup!

14. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

Ah yeah, fair point, I forgot you can still stream your own stuff from iTunes. I think the main thing for me is that you still need to have a Mac running if you do that, whilst if you jailbreak you can store your videos on a NAS and use XBMC.

Also, /) :)

15. Parasprite macrumors 68000

Parasprite

I think my Mini is the closest I'm going to get to NAS without spending extra cash, fortunately for me it's a hell of a workhorse for it's size. I'm glad I don't have to rely on a big Mac anymore to do all of my fancy mathematics since I hardly have the space for it. :p

(\ :D