Can Apple TV do this?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by kilcher, Mar 3, 2015.

1. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

My wife likes to watch a show using the CW app (we don't get that channel). Was wondering if Apple TV would allow her to "project" what's being shown on her phone through the app onto the TV and if so what the quality would be like.

I looked at Chromecast but it looks like the CW app would have to be Chromecast enabled and I can't find anything to indicate that it is.

I kind of want to buy an Apple TV but I'm not really sure what I'd actually use it for. Plus I have to think it's due for a HUGE update any time now. I've been thinking that for a couple years though...

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can mirror what's on your iPhone or iPad or Mac onto your TV via the Apple TV. The quality is superb.

3. mcnallym macrumors 6502a

Whilst you can indeed airplay your iPhone/ipad to an AppleTV be aware that some Apps block that.

For instance SkyGo blocks Airplay mirroring, so I would check that the CW app supports Airplay or at least doesn't actively block it.

4. kilcher thread starter macrumors 65816

kilcher

The app says "Apple TV / Airplay not officially supported." So it sounds like it may or may not work.

I'll probably just hold out for a newer version. Thanks for the answers!

5. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

While you can Airplay the CW app, I have not had good luck with their iOS apps lately. My issue has been when the commercials come on, it somehow triggers the app to play the next video (which is usually show extras and interviews and not the rest of the episode).

I've defaulted to just using the website on my iMac when needing to watch shows like Arrow or Flash. That seems to work better.

All that said, I do love my AppleTVs. Totally worth $99 (or less) even if a new one comes out tomorrow.

6. EricandSuebee macrumors member

Is the show available on Hulu plus? If so you can watch it via that on Apple Tv and the quality is superb just have to deal with commercials but they are fast and not long.