Can Apple TV play from VIDEO_TS folders?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by cubedweller, Feb 19, 2009.

1. cubedweller macrumors 6502

I have XBMC and a network share over ethernet; most of my DVD's are in VIDEO_TS folders. Will this work? Or will I have to create images of each of them first?

Thanks!

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You'll have to convert them to mp4 or another iTunes compatible format.

3. danny_w macrumors 601

Is that true even with XBMC? I thought that it could play video_ts directly (I know the xbox version can).

4. cubedweller thread starter macrumors 6502

No, it's not true. Maybe he missed the XBMC part? :rolleyes: Anyway, I'm going to try and see if it'll play the VIDEO_TS folders directly.

5. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

MacMini + FrontRow plays VIDEO_TS folders just fine. AppleTV must do the same, no?

Anyone know a good way to edit those folders, loose the previews, and jump to the main menu?

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

No

7. magn2o macrumors member

Wow, I'm suprised no one has definitively answered this yet. Anyway, yes, XBMC will play VIDEO_TS folders just fine. My entire library is ripped as VIDEO_TS and I have no problems.

Highlight folder, context menu, play. Done.

8. danny_w macrumors 601

Thank you, that is exactly what I wanted to know. I currently have an :apple:TV running 1.0 software and configured for 4:3 mode using displayutil, b/c this is not available for 2.x versions. Now that I know XBMC will work with VIDEO_TS folders, I can update to 2.x, add XBMC (which does support 4:3 mode), and play my videos from a shared Drobo where I have my DVDs ripped. Thanks!

9. cubedweller thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! I was sort of shocked that no one had answered this as well. Anyway, thanks for the reassurance.

~E

10. wratran macrumors regular

I am new to the XBMC on ATV2...
    Can you show us the procedure in XBMC to play video ts folder...how do you highlight the whole folder..etc...?