can apple use another line upgrade for me

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fallenapple99, Oct 1, 2014.

1. fallenapple99 macrumors member

I looked on line today and saw an apple store had an available 64+ phone in stock. I was going to buy it, but my at&t account\line will not let me as it says i'm not available for an upgrade. I bought a 6 on launch day.

However, my wife's line(she bought a 6 too) shows she has an upgrade available. If I go to the apple store can they use her upgrade for my line?

I really don't want to buy online and then have her phone deactivated. The apple store won't open until 10am so I can't call them right now to ask.

2. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

if you are the primary account holder yes. when ordering, use your wife's number and if she is eligible use it in the process. it will show that you're updating her line and not yours. in regards to her line getting deactivated, yes there will be a transfer from her old line to the new phone. you just have to call ATT and tell them what you did and they can either do the line transfer and everything over the phone for you OR they can give you another SIM.

i do this all the time with them so i know they can do it.

3. superbobbyhill macrumors member

Yes you can use that number as the upgrade line. I don't believe the phones get locked to a certain phone number, just the carrier. So you can buy it with her upgrade by putting in her phone number and just using your SIM card on the new phone.

Hope that makes sense.

4. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

OP still has to call his provider to make it legit and let them know what he just did.

5. superbobbyhill macrumors member

Hmm, maybe. When I did it, I just used a different phone number on the same account as the line to upgrade and just used my own SIM card in the new phone. No issues.

6. EzDoesItSC macrumors member

Just did it yesterday at Apple Store. Gave my upgrade to my wife's line and walked out with the phone activated. On the device they use When you go in you put in the phone number that you want to upgrade then it will check it to make sure you have a upgrade available. Then on the next screen it lets you select which line you would like to transfer a upgrade from to get your new phone.

If you don't want to transfer then go in buy the phone on her upgrade walk out with it and swap sims. It's that easy.

7. JeepGC macrumors regular

You can just go to the store and tell them you want to cross upgrade. I've done it before at Apple Stores and they know what I'm talking about. It's a fairly common thing.

8. Korican100 macrumors 6502a

Korican100

If you order from apple, they will just send you the phone and your provider will have the IMEI designated only for your wife's line. However, it will not be activated as yet. When you get the non-activated phone, just call your provider and tell them to switch the phone to your line, and then you can activiate it.

Real easy.