Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hardikguru

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
Hello folks, I'm really looking forward to the Apple watch as a category of device which will again change the world of computing. Details have come out regarding the SDK and various editions but still not sure what the device can do owing to the fact that it has a unique hardware with several new sensors. I'm making this thread for all to explore and learn from the community what the device can do.

1. Is the Apple watch aware when I'm still certain distance off the ground? Can it measure the precise time and distance off the ground? I know it has a barometer.

2. Can the watch persist data if it's not within the vicinity of the paired iPhone?

What else ... feel free to add.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta

1. Is the Apple watch aware when I'm still certain distance off the ground? Can it measure the precise time and distance off the ground? I know it has a barometer.

2. Can the watch persist data if it's not within the vicinity of the paired iPhone?

What else ... feel free to add.

1. Barometers detect differences in pressure. Air pressure is dynamic but as you go up its lower. So it can just detect if going up or down. It's used to tell if going up/down stairs or in conjunction with GPS data to determine approximate elevation. So if paired to your iPhone you can get elevation info on a run/bike ride.

2. Almost certainly at least with aOS native Apps.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
...1. Is the Apple watch aware when I'm still certain distance off the ground? Can it measure the precise time and distance off the ground? I know it has a barometer....

Out of curiosity in what kind of scenario do you see this data being useful?

hardikguru

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
Response

I'm looking at real problems faced by customers and if Apple watch can help solve them. It seemed like a no-brainer to understand the iPhone when it came but Apple watch though inhibits many things also enabled several possibilities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.