Can Apple's Pages open Word 2010 files? Please Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AbhiKap55, Nov 17, 2012.

1. AbhiKap55, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012

AbhiKap55 macrumors member

Ok so I just got a new MacBook Pro 13. 2.5GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB of RAM.

It came pre installed with Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. There are some Microsoft Word 2010 files that I need to download of a website for school. Can these files be opened and editied with Pages??? Please Help!

Thanks, Help is greatly appreciated.
    :apple:MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz i5, 4GB of RAM

2. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

Yes Pages can open and edit Word or .doc and .docx files. I should know I had a trial of Pages on my Mac and I have it on my iPad too.

And I use office 07 on my PC

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why don't you try opening one and find out? You could have your answer faster than posting a question and waiting for a response.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Pages shouldn't have a problem opening the word files. However, when you do this some complex formatting may be messed up. When I was working we even had problems with different versions of Word...newer versions of Word would have trouble with earlier versions.

5. AbhiKap55 thread starter macrumors member

Actually, it's because im GOING to get one in 3 days. I just said I got one to make it faster lol. So, it can open and edit them correct? thanks.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes.

7. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

Yes, you can open and edit Word documents in Pages.

You may run into trouble if you need some complex formatting options: Pages doesn't support features such as cross-referencing. However, as the large majority of people don't even know these things exist, it probably won't be an issue.

You may also consider buying Office 2011 if you want/need full compatibility or the full feature set.

8. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

Pages opens any word document, some formatting doesn't transfer over though

9. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if it still applies, but back when I had Pages (2007, I think), it was also kind of a hassle that when interacting with Office docs, you had to use the Export function instead of Save. May have changed since though.

Pretty much the best advice. If price is a barrier, I'd check if you or any of your family members' employers participates in the Microsoft Home Use Program. I've purchased a full version, 2-license copy of Office:mac Home & Business via the Microsoft HUP for $10.

For me, not having to worry about cross-compatibility is worth it.

10. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

I'd say $10 for Office is a pretty great deal, especially since the newest version for Mac is actually good. First thing I did when I got my MBP was to use that $10 perk :)

The OP could probably have it for almost nothing with a school/student program, if he doesn't know anybody who has the HUP.

11. rev.b macrumors regular

rev.b

Unfortunately, you can't even think of doing serious work that involves shared documents or public presentations (if not using your Mac) without using MS Office.

12. AbhiKap55, Nov 18, 2012

AbhiKap55 thread starter macrumors member

I went to the Microsoft website and went to Office for Mac and it said that it is for $120. Where did you get it for $10?
    :apple:MacBook Pro 13 2.5GHz i5, 4GB of RAM

13. Snowshiro macrumors 6502

Do you actually read what people write? All the information you need is 3 comments above yours.

14. Kealohilani macrumors 6502

Try seeing what your school may offer. I am a student as well and the university I attend offers students a free download version of Office for Mac 2011 or a version that comes by mail for $20.60. Haven't figured out why such an odd amount but it is still a pretty good deal. It might be worth checking out

15. wethackrey, Nov 18, 2012

wethackrey macrumors 6502

The current version of Pages can save Word files in native Word format. Here is a Save dialog from Pages 2009, which is the latest Mac version:
    [​IMG]

As others have rightly pointed out, there are occasional formatting issues with some of Word's more esoteric formatting. Generally speaking, though, Pages plays quite well with Word. This has been critical in making the iPad a serious tablet in the enterprise space. Numbers is a good spreadsheet as well and is highly compatible with Excel. Keynote is a far better presentation tool than PowerPoint and can read and save PowerPoint files.

Having said that, you owe it to yourself to find a copy of Office. I'm the last guy on the planet to promote Microsoft products, but there's no denying that Office is the defacto standard in productivity suites. I use Word for documents going to people that use Word because I'm concerned that Word will treat Pages documents saved in Word format badly.

Also – If you DO use Pages and save files in Word format for use on a Windows PC do NOT leave the Hide extension box checked, as shown in my illustration. The lack of a file type extension is the number one reason files coming from a Mac cannot be read on a Windows box.