Can AppleTV Gen 4 play video audio to multiple speaker sources ?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Anto38x, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Anto38x macrumors regular

Anto38x

Hi all.....

I have a Samsung SUHD UE8500 55inch Curved TV with a Samsung HW-J6500R Curved Soundbar.

Yesterday I received my AppleTV Gen 4 which, by the way, as I have been a PLEX convert now for about 1 year.... but my PLEX TV app is problematic... so the PLEX app on my new Apple TV is a revelation.

I also have a high end hi-if system with Rotel Amps and B&W floor speakers that sits at the back of my living room. I have a ARCAM IR DAC that plays my Spotify or iTunes music either as a direct connection through USB or AirPlay.

Can I have my TV playing through the PLEX app with the audio coming from both my Samsung Soundbar and my Rotel Hi-Fi system ? I have contacted and asked Apple support... and they have informed me that AppleTV doesn't allow this feature.... but is there a third party work around... because if I could get my hi-fi in on the act in my living, I truly would have a cinematic viewing and hearing experience.

Any comments or suggestion most welcome.

Regards,
    Anthony

2. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Yes, as long as all the sources are AirPlay compatible.

3. Anto38x thread starter macrumors regular

Anto38x

Hi benjitek and thanks for your reply.... but I have tried this and I can only select one source at a time... I can select my HDMI connected TV Soundbar or my airplay enabled Hi-Fi... but not both at the same time.... that is the problem... in my living room my soundbar is in front of the TV and my hi-fi is behind me... so I would like to try and get front and back speakers all playing the movie or TV show audio all at the same time.

4. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Right, the soundbar isn't AirPlay equipped.

5. Anto38x thread starter macrumors regular

Anto38x

No it's not..... but I also have a B&W Zeppelin Air.... and I still cannot select my Hi-Fi and that also both at the same time... it will only allow me connect to once source at a time.

6. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Reset your ATV4 as a new device and try again. If that doesn't work, contact AppleCare tech support.

7. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Can you do it "the old fashioned" way: output via wire from :apple:TV to the receiver, then out of the receiver (maybe monitor or aux out) to the sound bar and/or TV?

And if that unit can't do it, add even a modestly-priced receiver that can redirect sound to many such powered devices.

Either of the above has a higher chance of working than trying to get some kind of Airplay splitter working (if that's what you are trying to do). And for "cinematic viewing and hearing experience," a good receiver as your central hub for audio is THE way to accomplish that goal.