Can apps be transferred to different iPods?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Nadav, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Nadav macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

If I were to download an app from the app store on my iPod, would I then be able to transfer it to my iTunes on my computer and a friend could then sync his iPod in my computer and get the app?

2. rma2110 macrumors newbie

Don't think so. We won't know until the apps are released, but I think the apps will only be available for your iPod Touch. It'll be tied in to your iTunes Account and your iPod's serial number ... I think.

Interesting question though. If I buy several apps for my current iPod Touch and a year later decide to get the 64GB or the 128GB version of the Touch, will I have to buy my apps again?

ETA: I'm hoping that you can put any apps you buy on as many iPod Touches or iPhones tied to your iTunes account account.

3. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

My guess (and that's all it is) is that any Apps you buy will be tied to your iTunes account (rather than individual iPhones or Touches), and will sync to any Touches or iPhones you sync with iTunes on an authorized computer on your account.

4. MacinJosh macrumors 6502a

That would mean that all your friends could come over and sync your apps on their iPhones/Touches and save a few bucks.

My guess is that iPhones/Touches will get authorized in a similar way that computers are now.

Joshua.

5. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Could be, but the scenario you suggest is not a new one. As it is now you could bring any iPod to my house and sync it with my computer and you'd have all my purchased music from the ITMS, but you'd have to wipe out everything currently on your iPod to do it, and you would lose it all again when you synced with your own computer. I don't see why apps would have to work any differently. By authorizing computers (not iPods), and then letting any iPod (including Touches) only sync with one computer (at a time, at least), Apple effectively manages what ultimately gets onto iPods.