Can apps run in background even if I disable Background App refresh in setting?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by striders, Nov 6, 2015.

1. striders macrumors 6502

I noticed that the Amazon app ran in the background for quite sometime. I checked in Settings -> General -> Background App refresh and it is disabled for Amazon.

Is there a way to disable this completely, or app can just bypass this setting?

2. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

yes they can, yes its dumb, yes app devs can exploit it (*cough* facebook lol *cough*), yes apple will probably eventually make it more strict some time

3. Aston441 macrumors 6502a

I'm totally not understanding what that option does at all. It seems to make no difference whatsoever as to whether or not apps continue running in the background. The ones I want to run quit anyway, and the ones I don't want running just do whatever they please.

4. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

its for letting apps like twitter or stocks for example, when u check back later, to already be displaying the latest data available rather than doing their 2 or 5 or whatever second, refresh load after opening them again to update their data

voip apps get to bypass it cause voip has to be in a semi running connected state to accept live calls etc, music apps get to bypass it cause having ur music quit 5 seconds after exiting the app wouldnt fly well with users

5. striders thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info, guys! Strange that the thread posted by C DM didn't show up when I searched for it using Tapatalk.

6. mulatosnarf macrumors member