Can AT&T activate 2 million new iPhones in 2 days?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nsxrox, Jun 22, 2010.

1. nsxrox macrumors member

Have to come up with a strategy to get my phone activated and transferred over from T-Mobile tomorrow. I have a feeling that AT&T's servers are gonna be slammed for the next couple of days. I remember this was a huge problem when the first iPhone came out.

This is gonna feel like a gulf oil spill all over AT&T tomorrow.

2. mikemanblah macrumors regular

Can you still use your iphone, just without service?

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

No possible way!

And no they can not be used without activation. They will do nothing but tell you to activate with iTunes.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Where are you pulling this 2m # from? I shudder to think.

The home delivery/existing accts iPhone activations take 2 seconds and are not a load on the system. It's only the new accounts that require credit checks that choke the system. Apple/ATT hasn't said how many "new account" orders it has or expects on Thurs, but it's well under 600K to be sure.

The first iPhone activation was a CF b/c almost everyone was a new acct. That won't be the case on Thurs. When I bought my first iPhone I "preregistered" at the ATT store so when I got home my iPhone was activated in about 2 min. after pluggin into iTunes.

5. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Apple took a total of 600,000 pre orders... across all countries. Unless I missed something how does that equal 2 million on AT&T?

Now with that being said, I am sure that no matter what the number 20 - 2,000,000 AT&T activation servers will still melt down.

6. nsxrox thread starter macrumors member

Good point. I think I will try to see if I can register my CC with AT&T tonight in advance.