Can AT&T really be this inept?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Badboylou, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Badboylou macrumors newbie

I just had a lovely conversation with an AT&T rep about wanting to upgrade to an iPhone 3G. My wife and I currently have the iPhone and I wanted to know what was going to happen to our current plan if I upgrade and my wife doesn't. How much more will my monthly bill be? Simple, right?

Well, the rep tells me that I don't need to upgrade to the new phone. All I need to do is go to iTunes on Friday and upgrade to the latest software and presto, I now have the 3G and GPS on my 1st gen iPhone!!! :eek:

I went on to say that this isn't true. That in order to get 3G and GPS on the phone, I need to buy the new one. "Where did you hear that?" was his response. I shook my head and hung up for I would have to take everything this guy had to say from that point forward as being false.

Wow!

2. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

What a stupid little cretin... how can these guys be so dumb... this is Apples and ATTs main product.. bunch of tossers...

3. elbirth macrumors 65816

simply put, yes they can be that inept. AT&T employee or not, there are a lot of incredibly stupid people in this world

4. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

:eek:

5. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

6. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

sweet, well im not getting a new one then. Ill just upgrade to 2.0 and whallah I have gps, 3g, im skinny and better looking. Oh ya, I make more money and my car is now a ferrari, Thanks Apple I love the upgrade.:)

7. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I was planning on just going to the AT&T store that is 3 minutes away at opening but this really makes me want to go the Apple store that is 20 minutes away.......

8. miniyou64 macrumors 6502

miniyou64

That is messed up but sheesh you didn't have to hang up on him!

9. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Once again, I say for AT&T:

EPIC FAIL

You should update to 2.0, then raise a ruckus at AT&T when 3G and GPS doesn't work XD.

10. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

they are really dumbing/simplifying the activation for "us" lol, either place u go u should be in great hands!!

11. gazzer82 macrumors regular

Actually i think i would have hung up too. Probably better than saying what you would be thinking!!

12. Badboylou thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree. AT&T has made errors in my billing twice in the past when I either changed plans or added a service and it took 2 to 3 billing cycles to straighten it out.

The way I look at it, it should cost me $15 more per month. $10 for the data package (going from $20 to $30) and $5 for the 200 text messages which don't cost me anything now.

I don't want to be surprised a month from now with a bill that says I owe more than that. I'm going to try an AT&T store by my house to see if I can get an employee that is actually informed. I'm having serious doubts it will happen.

13. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

+1
    ...and work in a 'Help Desk' aka call center environment for 4 hours you will learn that st00pidity is universal across the board. Sometimes I end a call with the thought 'How can they be alive? there is nothing upstairs to support automatic body functions' :eek:

14. elbirth macrumors 65816

I did on-site tech support for the arts & sciences faculty and staff for 2 years in college. I never knew people (and these were professors!) could lack so much common sense in some of the simplest things. I don't know whether it was better or worse that I dealt with them in person versus over the phone though

15. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
  16. harryhood macrumors regular

hah!

I had a similar experience at the local AT&T Reseller. I walked in and said "will you guy shave the iphone 3g? And she proceeded to try and convince me to not get one because the iphone is the ******** phone out there and that I will be sure to have to come back and get "2-3 iphones before i get one that works properly, I swear, I've seen it!" I was like.. Uh..im not too worried about that..just tell me about the plans.. And she told me a bunch of stuff that wasnt even true.. I was like hmm..i guess i can get more information from Macrumors..

roflzfflfzzflzflz

17. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Shave the iPhone 3G :eek:

18. PcEhAoCsE macrumors newbie

I think he's just trying to sell this lie to as many people as he can so that his friends/family have a better probability of obtaining one come launch day.

19. Badboylou thread starter macrumors newbie

So I went this evening to an AT&T location and I am happy to report that not only did the lady know what she was talking about, she didn't even have to look it up. As it turns out I WILL only have to pay $15 more per month ($10 for the data and $5 for the text messages).:D

My faith in the intelligence of mankind has been restored...somewhat.;)

20. Denny Crane macrumors member

Denny Crane

It's Apple folks too. I went to the Apple store on Monday and the customer service guy I spoke to couldn't answer simple questions about whether the iPhone 1.0 dock would be compatible with the 2.0 version or not.....

21. gibbz macrumors 68030

Give it time, that faith will be taken back just as fast.:D

22. dude963841 macrumors member

even at the apple store you can go up at a " genius " and ask a question and they will give you a very stupid answer... Apple will hire anyone, yes and at&t too, they all hire r-tards

23. Syrus28 macrumors 6502a

Syrus28

That's because its a Reseller, which means the store isn't owned by AT&T. Furthermore, it means they aren't getting the iPhone. A local reseller did the same thing to me... Of course, I my response was a little more blunt. :D

24. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

It doesn't bother me when someone doesn't know something but when they just make up crap to sound like they know what they are talking just makes me angry. I've been told a lot of false info by ATT reps too.