can ATT get me in trouble for this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tekniq, May 24, 2008.

1. tekniq macrumors newbie

hello all. i just switched out of my verizon plan and switched to ATT, hoping to use my iphone that i bought from my friend, but then i found out th eplan is around 80 dollars a month, which in no hell i was going to pay. so instead, i bought the regular invididual plan (40$ a month) and unlocked and jailbreaked my iphone, and i got it working fine. One problem is that I logged into my ATT account and it said my active phone was indeed an iPhone. when i saw that i freaked and changed my active phone into the samsung phone that i purchased from the ATT store, but everytime i log in still it says my active phone is still the iPhone. my question is that, can ATT get me in trouble for having an unlocked iphone and using it for my regular individual ATT plan even though i don't have the 80 dollar iphone plan?

2. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Theoretically they sure could. You may want to try the crowd over at howardforums as that place has a ton of people pondering these sort of questions.

They know what type of device your SIM is in for the most part by its NMEA number, and its not easy to hide that sort of thing.

I kind of doubt they will bother with you but I could definitely be wrong. I seem to recall some forum posts over there saying that people had been billed after the fact for using the wrong data plan on the wrong phone.

They understand which phones make it easier to use more data in many instances charge based on that. You can't really fault them for doing so, because bandwidth is not free.

At any rate, I'd do more research.

3. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

They won't

The 80 dollar plan is with luxury included not a mandatory thing

4. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

No what are you kidding? They aren't going to do anything.

5. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

You're going to get charged out the a$$ when your iPhone does auto-checks for mail, or you accidentally click Safari, stocks, weather, etc.

6. winterspan macrumors 65816

Yep, the plans are only more expensive because they include unlimited data (and for a great price, too). If you don't have ANY data plan whatsoever on the account, they'll probably charge you something ridiculous like $10/megabyte. In my opinion, this guy should just budget for the full iPhone plan, or just get an iPod Touch.

7. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

You're okay as long as you activated the phone with AT&T through iTunes...

Not if you activated it with a different phone and threw it into a Jailbroken phone...

8. tekniq thread starter macrumors newbie

wel i only use safari and youtube and stuff when wifi is avaiable...other than that, i can't go online. I didnt add an email account or anything either

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

then I doubt they will care....I think they let you drop your data plan now, so thats basicly what you did.

I

10. tekniq thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't activate the phone through ATT, just unlocked it and jailbroke it and threw in my sim card. well i just called them to make to see how much i'm paying and they said the 450 min rate, so i think i should be fine.