Can ATT transfer contacts and pictures?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Appl3FTW, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

I just switched my mom to an iphone. Can ATT transfer files like pictures and Contacts from her old phone to the iphone?

2. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

What phone did she have before?

3. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

They can do contacts but pictures are no guarantee. Pictures tend to take a long time depending on the amount that need to be transferred. It all depends but never hurts to ask.

4. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

Old Samsung Flight, non smartphone

The lady on the phone said no. LOL. but i'll ask.

----------

here's my other question... how are contacts saved? is it saved on the phone itself, SIM or OS?

I think it's stored in the phone itself and then backed up on iTunes right? therefore it's not stored on the sim.
    I remember back then when I had a non-iphone device and I had the option to save it on the sim or phone.

5. vitacura macrumors regular

I have been able to have them transfer contacts from flip phone to iPhone and between Android/iPhone. No idea on pictures.

6. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Contacts transferring over should take a few minutes or less. But with the pictures, depending on how many you have and how big they are could take up to a few hours.

7. goofy1958 macrumors regular

While they can transfer pictures, they don't recommend doing it in the store, as it can take several hours, depending on the number. If she is getting an iPhone, it would be better to just sync it with iTunes. Much faster!

8. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

9. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

I guess you guys missed the part where OP said she's coming from a samsung non smartphone. kermitsippingtea.jpg

10. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

ya, it's not an iphone to iphone... damn brahs.

LOL :rolleyes:

11. CEmajr macrumors 601

Carriers have a machine that transfers contacts directly between devices. For the pictures you're better off finding someway to connect to a computer and do them on your own before going to AT&T.

12. goofy1958 macrumors regular

Nope, sure didn't. She just needs to sync with iTunes once she gets her phone running. Just tell iTunes where her photos are at. If they are only on her phone, well, her bad, nobody should do that! :)

13. Ken Kaniff macrumors regular

I would say most people with non smartphones probably do not backup their photos or other content to a computer. Do you remember the days before smartphones? I do. Connecting your phone to your computer was definitely not the norm.

Maybe it's just your generation. You wouldn't know first hand how we had it back in the day. :)

14. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It's a good idea to backup all pictures beforehand, regardless of what you are told over the phone, IMO. Last thing you want is to have the pictures that obviously matter to you, being that you asked, getting wiped at the store.

15. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Might have to email each image to save it. Older Samsung flip phones may not work with even Sansung's software but check out Samsung Kies it is the Samsung software I used with their smartphones. Maybe?

16. goofy1958 macrumors regular

Actually, I'm 56, so I remember the old days better than most. I have been using computers since the mid 70's, so have been tech savvy for a very long time. While it may be true that most "older" people would not consider it normal, anyone can learn how to upload and save photos onto a computer. :cool: