Can aTV4 be hidden away & remote work?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by MrMister111, Dec 27, 2015.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

Can the Apple TV 4 be hidden away, mine would be behind the TV, and the remote still work? I mean not only just for using it for navigation, but also games that use it as a "Wii" remote/wand stick?

Thanks

2. MrTazz macrumors member

MrTazz

No I don't it can
    With any infrared remotes it need to be able to send signal to the sensor on the box for it to work

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The ATV 4 remote is bluetooth to the ATV - it does have infrared but only to send volume controls to the TV, so it should work fine to control the ATV even if it it's hidden away behind the TV, etc

4. MrTazz macrumors member

MrTazz

Ah that is good to know, I have only had my ATV4 for a week and only just set it up today :)

5. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

Mine is in my closet with no IR repeaters, it works fine.

6. jdag macrumors 6502a

Mine is tucked away behind the TV. It is secured to the back of theTV with heavy duty double sided tape. Works perfectly.

I did position it at the bottom edge of the TV. While you cannot see it, it is positioned such that my IR Harmony remote can also control the ATV.

7. OriginalClone macrumors regular

OriginalClone

Now that the ATv 4 has been updated to work with the remote app, you should be able to control it, out of Bluetooth range, with the app. The Remote app works over the wifi network, but the downside is you will lose Siri functionality.

8. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

What brand tape did you use? I'd like to try what you said.

9. jdag macrumors 6502a

Scotch 414/DC Extreme Mounting Tape, 1 by 60-Inch, Black

10. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

Thank you

11. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Mine is hidden away, works prefect. Impressed with it so far, got it setup now with soundbar works great.

Just need some more apps...

12. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Mine is hidden behind the TV attached to wall using 3M Command Velcro tape.

13. shacky macrumors regular

shacky

Same setup here. Works fine. But I do use a infrared repeater so the ATV remote will control the volume of my home theater.

14. MrMister111, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016

MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

My Apple TV remote works great now I've correctly setup the HDMI etc using ARC,sync,link whatever TV manufacturer you have.

It switches the TV and soundbar on, and then controls the volume of soundbar perfectly and the Apple TV even though hidden.

On a side note has anyone got a case for the siri remote? I'm worried on the glass smashing and it's a little awkward to hold. Any on Amazon UK or eBay? All I can see is ones from China off eBay so far...

15. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Is this a setting you change on the ATV or your TV itself? I utilize a sounder and the AppleTV works great in adjusting the volume but i only want to use the ATV remote to turn on the TV, sound bar, and ATV. Currently right now I have to use the sound bar remote and the ATV remote to achieve that.

I have a Samsung 4k TV and a SONY sound bar.

16. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Mines a Panasonic TV and Samsung soundbar. Asked on forum, you have to use the HDMI with ARC, my soundbar has an HDMI in and out, TV volume is off in settings and that's it, all just worked!

17. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

My receiver is in the same rack as the AT4, the volume is controlled through CEC VIA the TV. It's quite seamless.