Can Audi sue Apple for using "A4"?

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah....the question is simple.....the same thing happend with the iPad with the Camera Phone from Asia for naming rights.

Can Audi (a multibillion dollar luxury/high performance car company) sue apple inc for naming rights? for the "a4" processor in the iPad?:rolleyes::p

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Then they should also sue the german government for naming a motor-way/highway "A4", or paper fabricators for using A4 as a name for a common size of a sheet of paper.

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
i know. but just.

you can't be bias and say that everyone thinks like you or me or the next guy..:rolleyes:
Yes they will sue them for every processor chip Apple owns, implement into their cars therefore creating something more useful then a giant iPod touch.

(Happy now? ;)... that should please you AND those who think the iPad is crap)

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
A trademaek can be used for multiple markets.

In Europe we have the Polo car and Polo mint for example.

Owned by totally separate companies.

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
So Apple would be able to get by if they named it A4 Quattro S-Line right?

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
it's not about how many attorneys you have, it's about being completely different products. In the U.S. there's MAC (makeup) and Macs (computers).
You're right. I suppose it is ok if there is no way that one product could be mistaken with another one carrying the same name. But then, I am not a trademark attorney....

So Apple would be able to get by if they named it A4 Quattro S-Line right?
Maybe. As long as it wouldn't be called A4 Quattro RS. :) But I doubt Apple would want to go the A4 Quattro way. Or maybe they could just buy Audi. Then we would be driving Apple A4 Quattro and using iPads with Apple A4 Quattro CPU. Preferably not at the same time. No issues there, right? ;)

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
(Happy now? ;)... that should please you AND those who think the iPad is crap)
I don't think the iPad is crap, idk if you read my signature, i'm planning to buy an iPad:D:D:D:D iPad FTW! lol

There used to be a graphics chip company named S3. They used to name each of their chips after Porches. 911, 924, etc.

Happens all the time.
Wow!Makes you wonder where exactly did apple get the idea of naming the iPad processor "A4"?

other than audi a4? :rolleyes: