Can AW pair with external GPS?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by StuMcBill, Nov 3, 2015.

1. StuMcBill macrumors 6502

Is it possible to pair an Apple Watch with an external GPS? I am thinking about getting one, and would like to use it to track runs and cycles, but am not keen on having my iPhone strapped to my arm.

So the thought occurred to me, if I could get a small external GPS chip, pair it to the AW with a set of Bluetooth Headphones, I could get away with not taking my iPhone with me at all.

Is something like this possible?

Thanks
    Stewart

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, Apple has not implemented that sort of functionality. My advise is to get another sports watch that has a GPS and use that for your runs

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

4. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Why do you want to pair a gps to iPhone already has gps?

5. Newtons Apple, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015

Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I am not tying to pair it the OP is.:p

We are talking about pairing the watch with a GPS device which can not be done.

I would have loved for Apple to allow the AW to use the information from the iPhone's GPS to map my runs but Apple decided it would not do that.

6. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

You don't need to. It would be redundant don't you think? If you have the phone with you it can track/map the run on its own, no need to feed the watch with the data.

I guess what you're saying though is why won't the iPhone GPS do more to feed into the activity feed to increase accuracy of the workout app when running? It does use the GPS for cycling so why not a run/walk and why not add mapping as a feature. If so, I can agree with you here. We can do this with 3rd party but I would like it to be part of the stock application.

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It just seemed like a simple thing that Apple could have done but maybe there was a reason not to do it.

8. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Cost and battery life.
    Apple will add gps, when Samsung, LG, and every single smart watch maker in 30% market add gps.
    With 70% market shared, Apple could afford to be the last one add gps, and still make $$, from 70% market.

9. StuMcBill thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't want to take my iPhone with me on runs, that was the point.

Is there potentially any way a 3rd party app could do this in the future?

10. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Even with a third party writing apps the lack of GPS would still require you install and use it on your phone for mapping purposes.

11. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I don't like to take mine either. I still do at the moment for music but that will change soon I hope with the purchase of bluetooth headphones and some music synced to my watch. I can do without mapping until its added to the watch just to remain lighter.

The only thing I see a third party doing anytime soon is writing to your phone when you get home or maybe having the ability to feed into the watch but Apple is strict on the update frequency of third party data. So, I would not expect a great solution soon. My opinion.

12. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

What AW app are you using required gps during running?
    Or you simply does not trust AW is accurate without iPhone/gps?

If you welling to carry your iPhone with AW running for 1-2 weeks, it is likely AW will become fairly accurate without iPhone, provided your running pace does not change significantly after 1-2 weeks when running without iPhone. You just need to tough it up for 1-2 weeks.
    I don't know how many time I see people welling to carry iPhone in their hand on the running trail, so they could keep track of their running using iPhone. Carry iPhone JUST for 1-2 week is small price to pay, compare with people carry their iPhone running all the time.

13. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The OP wants mapping.
    Also I have been carrying my iPhone on (almost) every run since 2007.

[​IMG]

14. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

OPS want "to use it to track runs and cycles", not necessary mapping.

I track all of my outdoor exercise also, but I don't see there is any benefit to my health to know exactly where I been.