Can battery capacity increase from what it was?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Turian.Spectre, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Turian.Spectre macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

Hi,

I used an app on my MBP called Coconut battery. it said that my current battery capacity was 94% of what it was since I bought it. I assumed that means those 6% are never coming back and I should start using it more responsibly to make it last longer. I read a lot of forums on how to use your notebook effectively, when to plug it in, how much I should let it discharge etc. After 2 weeks of my new habits, I checked my battery life again and now it says 96%. Is it even possible for it to go back up?

Attached Files:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It is possible, but that's probably just reporting error.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. Pax macrumors 6502a

Yes. It's just an estimate, not hugely accurate. It will vary from charge to charge. It should sit around 90-95% for many, many cycles. GGJ's FAQ is a useful read.

5. moel macrumors 6502

The battery in your macbook pro, will generally have a higher capacity (only very very slightly tho) than when it was manufactured. This is due to the way the chemicals work.

So yes it's perfectly possible for your macbooks battery to ship as say 6900 mah, and then for the next few cycles for the battery capacity to increase to a little over 7000 but will obviously then start to decrease as you continue to use the machine and it gets older

6. Turian.Spectre thread starter macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

thank you. that answers it for me.