can batttery be bypassed? do i have to unplug and plug into wall always?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bob2131, Aug 9, 2008.

1. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

hi, im looking at buying a macbook or macbook pro.
    when i plug in the power adaptor to the wall socket,
    the battery gets charged right?
    isnt there a way to NOT use the battery, and so just draw
    power from the wall socket?
    cause mostly the laptop will be stationary in my room, with
    music devives connected to it............will i have to unplug the adaptor
    when the battery is full? or can i leave the adaptor plugged into the wall ALL THE TIME? .........do i HAVE TO unlug and plug the adaptor in accordingly to battery level????

if i take the battery out, and just plug into the wall, will this work???

thanks

2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

It is possible to take out the battery and run just on the adapter, but realize if you trip/unplug the power, it's just like a desktop and it will power down.

3. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

apple staff told me the macbook wont work without the battery......even if you plug into the wall...........

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Taking the battery out and running off the main is doable, but not advised.

First off, that power cord slips out, you'll have an instant shutdown. Something to be avoided, especially if you're in the middle of a project.

Also, as already noted, the computer is designed to scale back on the processor. Basically, without the AC power feed, the processing power of your computer is reduced -- so yes it will still work, but it won't be as powerful as when running off just the battery.

You can leave the battery in and the computer running from the mains. Just be sure to disconnect your computer from the AC power feed and use it on the battery from time to time, to preserve battery life.

5. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Just to inform you about everything:

- If the battery is fully charged (100%) it will NOT be charged permanently.
    - The battery will only be charged if the charge drops below 95 %.
    - Removing the battery and using the MacBook only on adapter, the Macbook will run just fine, but in order to avoid the MB eating too much electricity, the frequency is halved (1 GHz instead 2 GHz, for example)

6. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

"Basically, without the AC power feed, the processing power of your computer is reduced -- so yes it will still work, but it won't be as powerful as when running off just the battery."

without ac power = processing power reduced
    yet running off battery is more powerfull ?
    this dont make sense, sorry.

7. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

so if the battery is fully charged, does it make sense to leave the ac wire plugged into wall socket?
    if the macbook is permanently connected to mains, its not constantly charging as im using?

the frequency is halved (1 GHz instead 2 GHz, for example)
    wow, if thats true, im not gonna be taking the battery out!!

8. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Well, if you are unplugging the MacBook, of course the battery will drain again. You should drain it completely about once every month at least, to keep the battery ions moving.

Leaving the laptop plugged in all the time aside from this will be perfectly fine.

And yes, it is true, performance goes (slightly) down if you have the battery removed.